CyberHawk is now ThreatFire & has new beta for v3

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by InfinityAz, Aug 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,folks: Compared to PCTools Av at $ 29.95/year ? a bargain or o_O

2. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

i upgraded to pro for free beta?. huh? isnt it all in beta mode.? o_O

Last edited: Aug 18, 2007
  3. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

No. Free beta has the same restrictions as the free FINAL (when it comes out).
    Same restrictions apply, even though it's still in beta.

I'm running it along avast! and so far it's working just great. Gotta try movies if there is still slowdown at startup of WMP11 like it was in Cyberhawk 2.0.4...

EDIT: No slowdowns yey :D All the bugs i've reported so far have been fixed in each next update. Way to go!

4. Davidpr

Davidpr Registered Member

Sounds good. Have tried CH a few times before but had problems. I am running Avast with GESWall. Will TF and GESWall run well together or is there an overlap? I know I have read postings on this but I cannot find them in a search.

Belgammin? has made a couple of useful postings about CH and DSA but not GESWall.

Any advice will be useful.

5. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Works perfect on our second PC (Avast + CyberhAWK Pro + GeSWall Pro).

Threatfire is CB Pro with a user interface in the PC tools style. So enjoy

6. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Simon,

Have a look at the messages of the A2 IDS. They are supurb compared to ThreatFire. ThreatFire is a more configurable application than A2 with IDS, so when you manage to give more clues of what triggered the behavior blocker to react (like A2's IDS) I would happily change the configurations of the family PC from DefenseWall + A2 IDS to DefenseWall + ThreatFire Pro

On our second/gaming/graphix PC I am for certain going to change from GeSWall Pro + Avast + CyberHawk Pro to GeSWall Pro + Threatfire Pro.

Having the AV to check only at behavior exceptions is a good concept. Most people have their AV's scanning incoming data, scanning files when they are read and when they are written again. Your idea is a vast improvement in performance with no down sides.

One other featue request is an option in the pro version which has simular capabilities as A2's Intelligent False Positive Reduction. Another good idea is to incorporate something like DefenseWall in your suite.

Thanks and Regards Kees.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2007
  7. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

It appears that ThreatFire prevents Daemon Tools and Alcohol 52% instalaltion (no warnings, they just fail to install). I've also sent a support ticket regarding this so they'll check it out.

8. screamer

screamer Registered Member

Quick question: Will TF overlap / conflict w/ pro-security? I'd like to try it on my NAS box, that has Outpost FW, NOD32, Pro-Security, SpyWare Terminator, & BoClean. I've disabled BoClean. NAS box runs 24/7 D/L'ng movies, music...

...screamer

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I think you are bound to get some doubling up of coverage with PS and TF, however you'll just have to install both to find out if they can coexist...

10. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Having been one of the very first supporters of Cyberhawk i just have to give ThreatFire a try.

On install i notice most drivers are still the same CyberHawk names so for all practical purposes looks like this remains an authentic CyberHawk design alright with some nice new additionals and hopefully many bug fixes.

I notice in addition to launching an IE page that just like CH, ThreatFire announces it wants to SUSPEND iexplorer but doesn't prevent it from loading as usual. Uneducated guess here is that since it's a behavioral blocker the SUSPEND is only for micro-seconds just to do a instant-scan that nothing malicious or of a risk is determined.

Anyone have any other ideas on that front?

11. sach1000rt

sach1000rt Registered Member

its been running on my pc for a while and its running very smoothly.its using around 8 to 8.5 mb as shown on task manager.

12. screamer

screamer Registered Member

Install went well, no conflicts w/ PS. One thing though, no tray icon. TFService & TFtrayApp are running but no icon is sys tray

o_O

...screamer

13. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Just tried ThreatFire and it caused a BSOD in Win 2k sp4.

As soon as I pressed the finish button it crashed. The computer rebooted but Chkdsk came up with problems on all partitions. I noted particularly that the TF folder or part of it was corrupted. Once it had rebooted the mouse and keyboard were locked out although on the hardware side it looked ok, ie. k/b & mouse were lit as normal.

Tried a second reboot from a reset and same saga.

Could not get back into Win from safe mode so resorted to an image restore booting from CD.

Not encouraged to try this any further.

Using

2k sp4
    Avast
    SSM - learning mode (paid)
    Kerio 2.1.5
    BOClean 4.24

14. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I just tried ThreatFire and it BSOD my machine (which i detest :cautious: )

I restarted, reinstalled after uninstall and the same BSOD again & again. I come to an easy conclusion it's very unstable and not close yet to prime time by a long shot.

Like the above poster, i AM NOT encouraged to try it again. CyberHawk "NEVER" BSOD my machines in any version, yeah there might have been some minor performance concerns here & there, but when a proggy consistently BSOD's my units, it's a real bummer.

My mouse & keyboard were also disabled like a virus would do, plus CTRL+ALT+DEL was unavailable leaving nothing but a complete Hard Reset to boot again.

Program is NOT been thoroughly tested in-house, thats very obvious.

It ruined my FD-ISR where i can't even reach my backup snapshot. I'm testing in an alternate hard drive which now i have to pull the panel and totally delete the partition, ZERO and wipe the drive and reinstall. Lousy release if you ask me. :thumbd:

I now miss the old CyberHawk and lucky for me i still have some of their early releases should i decide i need them, which in reality i don't.

Enough of this. Back to the drawing boards for PCTools IMO.

15. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Installed on two computers and running fine without any problems. The two computers are running (both with all updates):

Notebook: XP Home, Avira PE, PC Tools firewall plus, GeSWall

Desktop: XP Pro, Norton AV 2007, Outpost Pro 4, GeSWall

16. Tony

Tony Registered Member

I was dubious about trying this out as cyberhawk trashed my system, but as i now have returnil i may as well give it a go.

I must say i am pleasently suprised as it seems to have no impact on system performance.

The only downside was KIS7 goes crazy at first until every componment of ThreatFire is added to the trusted zone.

17. Drew99GT

Drew99GT Registered Member

Has anything been updated from the latest version of Cyberhawk to Threatfire? Or are the "engines" if you will, all the same?

18. LUSHER

LUSHER Registered Member

Who knows? It's all a blackbox.

Works fine here too btw.

19. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

You'll notice on install, expecially if you're running any HIPS, ThreatFire immediately wants to Modify EVERY RUNNING PROCESS in your TaskManager as well as Critical system files, and to me that's just too risky. Now outdated & older rootkits performed the same exact procedure like a dll injection-type sequence, but i run Rootkits that are infinitely more stable than this and definitely without BSOD'ing my system even after countless reboots.

Needless to say, i am very upset with their obsolete technique. It is too risky and will render a system unstable. At least it did mine and from what i just read above i'm not the only one.

20. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

SSM does the same (discovered by the authors of RkU)

21. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Got it installed and running here and so far no problems at all. Seems light around 7.5mb total ram. Performance is fine. Will see if anything comes up in the next few days...

22. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

2nd day running with comodo boclean and returnil with protection on. Having fun gaming online no problems so far. :thumb:

23. pravbk

pravbk Registered Member

Looks bit interesting to me. I just tested it with a new malware which i found few days ago and only 4 av engines have detected it on virus total. i also tested it with some firewall leak test tools here are the images attached

Attached Files:

24. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I only this week started doing my new reinstalls ($M Volume License) with SP2 + all updates and i been experiencing BSOD's 3 times now with security programs, including IceSword, Drive Sentry and now this.

If it keeps up there is no choice but to retrofit back to SP1 which been stable as a rock and NO bluescreen issues like this in succession. So for those who wondered why i always showed SP1 in my system credentials, this is the concern i always feared.

SP2 makes for issues on some systems, mine is one of them.

25. alala321

alala321 Registered Member

Threatfire looks good & uses low resources, but it "calls home" at reboot even with updates & community protection disabled... Any suggestions?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.