Cyberhawk -- is it for the birds?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by bellgamin, Aug 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Are you implying that we are all a bunch of hypochondriacs? :eek: ;)

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

The good and bad guys have one thing in common, they want your money.
    The good guys love the bad guys, because without them there wouldn't be a multi-billion-dollar business in malwares and anti-malware and who cares about the average users. Users are there to steal from them in any possible way.
    That's why none of these security softwares are perfect and to make it more perfect the user has to buy another security software and another one and another one (= layered security). That's business, a compromise between good and bad. Each of them want a piece of the money-cake, but some of them want a bigger piece.

3. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

new version Cyberhawk 1.2.0.36 is now available

4. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Thanks, SPC. I downloaded & installed it. Did it on top of the prior CH version. Painless install.

The new version drops the rules-adding module. I was afraid to use that module any way.

Interesting -- the prior version d/l was 6.55 MB. The new version 4.66Mb.

There are 2 processes running in both the old & new versions. Old version 16440K ram, 6676K VM; new version 14416K ram, 6876K VM.

Since CH is as yet untested, all I know for sure is that it has no discernible impact on my computer's perky sprightliness.

Will somebody puh-leeze test the Hawk?

5. solarpowered candle

6. Simon6776

Simon6776 Registered Member

No, just human beings. ;) But seriously, these forums are a great resource of information, and I'm not knocking anyone here one bit. All I am really questioning, and again this is the wrong place for it (apologies! :oops: ), is the need for multi-layered protection, for the average 'safe' user, and whether apps like Cyberhawk (to bring the discussion back round), are really necessary? I would be interested to see a test, where a machine with average security (say, one AV, one proper Firewall and an additional AS product) was infected with something Cyberhawk could have prevented, to prove it's worth.

7. bellgamin

You've done it again, SPC! A really excellent link! Many thanks.

I downloaded the pdf guide at the link you provided. It is a real eye-opener. In fact, it helped me learn some new facts about HIPS, as well as to better assimilate some facts I had heard before.

In short, this testing guide is a real teaching treasure, whether you want to do any actual testing or not.

A further note: By publishing this testing guide, I consider that CH has "thrown down the gauntlet" and said, "Just TRY and beat me, if you can! Grrrrrrrrr" Now THAT demonstrates confidence in their product -- not just ad hype, but a downright challenge. (I do hope their bite is equal to their bark.)

8. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Would you say that Cyberhawk is less noisy and equal in protection as System Safety Monitor? Is there any known incompatibility software like any of the ones I am running (look at sig - assuming I would take SSM off for Cyberhawk)?

dja2k

9. gevin

gevin Registered Member

Kaspersky Internet suit treat CH as Riskware Intruder, have to add CH into KIS trust list then CH can work properly. No Good, sad. when i use Online Armor, it run perfectly ok side by side with KIS. How i wish CH can too.

10. solarpowered candle

do you think that you would need Cyberhawk with Kav internet suite? as much as i like Cyberhawk . Bitdefender online scan also gives false positives against Cyberhawk the last time i tried it. However Kav online scanner no longer gives any false positives. You may have the scan settings set to find "riskware etc" which may be giving false positives.

11. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

If you're using KIS6 you don't really need it (assuming you have PDM installed). But if you're using AOL AVS it's quiet handy to replace missing PDM with Cyberhawk...

12. gevin

gevin Registered Member

For me better be safe than sorry, try install more protection ware and hoping they all will work together without any problem. I am lazy layman, when popup some warning, that scare me away. don't know should is it safe to click on "Allow" button.

I understand that. That is KIS's Proactive setting, always give false positive even i set it to the lowest protection.

13. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Has Cyberhawk change a lot since this thread was started? I can't seem to find some stuff mentioned in the beginning of this thread in any of the tabs in the latest Cyberhawk.

dja2k

14. gevin

gevin Registered Member

Actually just want to try Cyberhawk since a lot of user here said is good. found this false positive, just want to tell you guy.

15. solarpowered candle

you may have the new version of Cyberhawk 1.2.0.36

16. bellgamin

CH produces fewer pop-ups but does not offer as broad a scope of protection as does SSM. Not by a long shot.

Your sig shows you are running Online Armor AV+, Comodo Firewall, SocketShield, Prevx1, BOClean, System Safety Monitor, RegRun Gold, PeerGuardian. Wow, that's a lot of security apps! At least 3 of them hook the kernel (Comodo, Prevx1, SSM) -- which gives you a roadjam just waiting to happen. I'm not sure if any of the others you list have hooked the kernel or not.

OA-AV+ doesn't hook the kernel yet, but TallEmu is working to make it do so in a soon-coming update. When that happens you will have yet another kernel-hooker, & an even larger probability of eventual roadjam.

My suggestion would be to reduce your security apps a bit. If you ask for suggestions as to which to run & which not to run, you'll get lots of differing opinions here in open forum. My suggestion would be to send a PM to Stem and another to Notok, asking for their advice on which apps to run & which to not.

Best of luck to thee & thine.

17. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Another option would be to dual boot the machine and alternate between setups.. with a little work they could be made otherwise identical, depending on what all you have installed. I agree, though, that it is quite a bit, and problems are almost inevitable.

18. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Well this bird ain't flying my way... first, it says I have 8 suspicious activities detected, which I didn't get one single dialog. Next found one more suspicious activity detected which I think is false because it prompted me that utorrent is recording keystrokes I am doing in firefox.

dja2k

19. solarpowered candle

in this new version There is some over sensitivity .

20. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

I know I know about security and my setup. Just playing around with different apps. :D By the way, I disabled Behavior Analysis in Comodo. Other thread I started about Cyberhawk vs System Safety Monitor did come up with "they are different apps". Cyberhawk works in behavioral analysis and SSM works like HIPS. By the way "I like problems waiting to happen" if not I would be bored out of my mind. Besides a little conflict never hurt anyone especially if you find the problem and eliminate it.

By the way, I know about the kernel version of OA, I am beta testing it right now!

dja2k

21. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

Any ideas why my Cyberhawk installation failed?! It gives me this Fatal Error:

Installation ended prematurely because of an error.

I have customized Windows XP SP2 + All Critical & Recommended Updates.

EDIT: Fatal Error=MSIEXEC.EXE

22. theshadow247

theshadow247 Registered Member

hi.MikeNAS.i had the same problem.all i did was restart my comp and the install worked...

23. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

I tried that but it doesn't help.

24. theshadow247

theshadow247 Registered Member

when i restarted my comp ch wasnt loaded when i started the install.i don't know if that helps or not.good luck.....

25. Cyberhawk Support

Cyberhawk Support Registered Member

Hi Mike,

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble installing CH. Were you able to finally get it installed? Have you had a previous version of Cyberhawk installed?

Below are a few things you can try, this error message is very generic so it's hard to know what occurred. Run the Windows Installer cleanup utility and check the permissions on the Novatix and Software regkeys.

First, run the cleanup utility. You can get it from Microsoft, below is a link you can download it from.

Its towards the bottom under 'More Information', says 'download windows installer...'
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

When you click on the link a 'File Download' dialog box will pop up. Click Save to download the Msicuu2.exe file. Save to desktop and run the installation, you can choose the default settings when installing.

1. Download and install the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility.
    2. Click Start, point to All Programs, and then click Windows Install Clean Up.
    3. From the list of installed programs, click Cyberhawk, and then click Remove.
    4. Click OK to confirm the removal, and then click Exit.
    5. Restart your computer and try install

Next check permissions if above fails.

1. Start the registry editor, Start > Run > regedit > OK
    2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Novatix.
    3. From the Security menu (or the Edit menu in Windows XP), select Permissions. The permissions should be
    * Administrators - Full Control
    * Creator Owner - Full Control
    * Power Users - Special
    * System - Full Control
    * Users - Read
    4. If the permissions onscreen don't match the permissions in Step 3, go to Step 5; otherwise, skip to Step 6.
    5. Ensure that the 'Reset permissions on all child objects' checkbox is selected and that the 'Allow Inheritable permissions from parent to propagate to this object' checkbox is cleared, click OK, and click Yes to overwrite existing permissions.
    6. Close the registry editor.

You may want to repeat on the Software hive and Cyberhawk if its available.

Let us know if this does or doesn't help, http://www.novatix.com/support

Regards,

Armando
    Novatix Corporation

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.