Cybergenic Shade-sandbox tool

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by co22, Oct 4, 2015.

1. boredog

boredog Registered Member

I tried it this morning and could not figure out how to sandbox Edge. Directions say drag desktop shortcut into program. I have no shortcut for Edge. It resides in the tray and not as a shortcut.
    Was the only video on their web site created by cruelsister or was it just her quotes?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  2. Umbra

Umbra Registered Member

@boredog Edge cannot be isolated (yet), it runs at Appcontainer level which i one integrity level deeper than any sandboxing apps.

so in term of security even if you can , it would be pointless.

3. boredog

boredog Registered Member

Thanks Umbra
    Didn't know that about Edge. I thought something was strange because I was able to put IE in there but when I added AVG, AVG stopped working.

4. Umbra

Umbra Registered Member

Appcontainer is the Windows8/10 sandboxing capability, every Metro Apps use it.
    To explain very very simply, when those apps are created, the dev allow some areas of the system to be accessible so the apps can do its job while restricting access to others.

you can see the appcontainer integrity level (IL) by using Process Explorer and selecting the "integrity" column; then launching edge or any metro apps.

for example in my screenshot below:

- Edge has its IL as Appcontainer
    - Firefox in sandboxie has its IL as "Untrusted"

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  5. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

That applies only to UWP apps. In that case, a virtualization sandbox is redundant because Windows 8 and 10 already have one for those apps.

If you're still running 32 bit desktop apps, Cybernetic Shade or Sandboxie will give you an extra layer of protection for them.