Current View of Avira?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Sep 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Anyone here running the AntiVir antivirus/firewall beta? I was running it until a couple of days ago, when I started having problems with the mailguard. With the mail guard activated, I couldn't receive e-mail. When it was deactivated, no problems. Just wondering if anyone else ran into this problem. I could ask at the AntiVir beta forum, but felt I already asked too many questions there, and I didn't want to make a pest of myself.

2. Littlemutt

Littlemutt Guest

I've been using it now for about 3 or 4 days, and so far I've not had any issues, works real well. The only thing I've seen is from time to time when opening the Control Center I get an error kicked that I posted about in the Beta forum.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20060922 Minefield/3.0a1, Firefox ID:2006092205 [cairo]

3. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

This is the first Av that's shifted me from TMIS, i wouldnt budge i hate change lol however i luv this one its light..free what more u want guess some things in ilfe are free? :D :D It updates fine ermmmm caught 3 trojans trying to nab me!...Pheww so i feel safe love it 10/10...

Btw anyone have the hueristics ticked on win 32 file? and on high? I've not had any probs yet and it updated after i ticked that....no false positives for a week since..do we really need that ticked or?? MD

Hope Avira dont start charging now they know there up there

4. Littlemutt

Littlemutt Guest

I've got the heuristics cranked up to 'high' on W32 options and so far nothing has bothered me at all.

I rather doubt this great combo AV+FW will be 'free'. Its only free because its still in Beta, plan on buying it later, as I am fully considering at this point.
    I'm hoping ESET comes out with a public Beta of its suite before the end of Oct when this suite will most likely be released.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20060922 Minefield/3.0a1, Firefox ID:2006092205 [cairo]

5. Unity

Unity Registered Member

With a good migration deal , like Dr Web , i would probably buy a license immediately since i've been a happy user of the free version in the past.
    Well who knows , maybe in the future ? ;)

6. LokiLoki

LokiLoki Guest

Don't forget - renewal discount. :)
    Please have renewal discount. ;)

7. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Just an update. The problem with the blocked e-mails is gone. I unistalled AntiVir beta with the intention of waiting until the final version came out. But I really like this AntiVir beta, and wanted to keep using it. After a couple of days, I decided to reinstall it again. For some reason the problem went away. I don't know why, but I'm happy it's gone. :)

8. theflamingbush

theflamingbush Registered Member

I havent tried the suite. I am happy with my ZAPro firewall, early build!, and am dubious that avira could do better. I like the guard they have, which is EXCELLENT!, and the av scan is top notch!, so i use the classic, its also free. The downside is that there is no pop3 support for mail client. Ive managed to get around this by installing AVG as a second AV client, and turning off its resident shield, hence no conflict with the Avira online Guard. The email protection that this affords me though is a major bonus, and AVG email protection is sufficient, with the ZAPro doubling up with no conflict for attachment filter. The other bonus is that with the previous build of ZAPro which i have had for years, the rest of the combo suite is FREE! :), you could easily use another firewall as a stand alone unit, or just pop yourself behind a router with built in firewall!(prefered option IMHO!)

Basically, if you use the prog that specializes in the process you want, your going to get better protection. Problems have been that conflicts occur when you have two competing processes running. So programms that have the capacity to turn off processes you dont need are preferable. Ive been trying to get a free configuration combo sorted out, and my advise with no conflicts that ive been able to detect is this.

AVG... online email scan (pop3), secondary AV on demand scan.

Avira... Online Gaurd, and primary AV.

ZAPro... older 6.5 build, limited conflicts, newer builds might conflict.

SSM... HIPS for swinging! :)

Sandboxie.... Browser protection and (mostly)secure enviroment for online work.

The firewall, can be dropped if you are sitting behind a router with built in firewall, and in the end this might be best.

Firefox and thunderbird, sandboxed.

other scanners like ewido, spybot, spyware scanner, ad-aware, can be used as intermitant scanners just to clean things up, but ive not noticed anything they've needed to pick up so far, as the first line of defence seems to be quite good for reasonably secure surfing. The java, javascript, and activeX problem holes can be solved by sandboxing and SSM, sufficiently i think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.