Current View of Avira?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Sep 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

Somewhere as you install, you will be given a chance to browse to the license key. Make sure you expand the zip first, at least that is what I did.

Gary

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

im not sure. when i installed teh beta, it prompted me for the key so i just browsed to the folder with the key, selected it, and clicked ok. i think the installer for the current premium version does teh same.

also, i dont know if u can upgrade from classic to premium.

3. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

As far as I know you cant, you need to uninstall classic and install premium.

Yes Premium works the same, you just point it to the key.

4. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I appreciate all the help, but everything I have done is to no avail. It is not a zip file, and browsing has only resulted in a reply that it is not a valid file or license, I don't remember which. I had instructions from the Avira forum, but nothing has done the job.

I do not doubt it is something I have done wrong in the total process, but after about 3 hours my patience has been exhausted, and now F-Secure is back to stay, at least for awhile.

Best,
    Jerry

5. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Jerry, what is it you want to test. If its the beta with firewall and av, let me know. But I really dont think keys are interchangible. But what exactly do you want, lodore and I might be able to help.

6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

And I know how frustrating things like this can be, so lets just slow down and find out how we can help. You really should join the beta, you would like it.

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, I was wanting to just test the AV. While I have no doubt that the suite is very good, I have my other applications set up, and do not want to change them.

I got the license key off the site for the download of the Workstation, which is what the program that I downloaded was.

Regards,
    Jerry

8. huntnyc

Jerry, did you extract the license.zip into its own folder and then browse to that folder and selct the key file and hit open and it should work. it did for me and I am loving this product so far even at this stage of its developement. Let us know. Your frustration hopefully will pay off for much good.

Gary

9. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

It isn't a zip file. I really do not know what kind of file it is. It is a HBEDV.KEY. Nothing that I tried would open it, and the program did not recognize it. Here is a discussion on the Avira forum.
    http://forum.antivir-pe.de/thread.php?postid=103262#post103262

I started over and downloaded another copy of the workstation and the key that is available on the same page as the download.
    I don't want to go through it today, but may try again in a day or so.
    I am not displeased with F-Secure, but just wanted to try Avira since there are so many good reports.

Thanks for the help.
    Jerry

10. huntnyc

Again, I am using the beta and there is a license.zip file that contains key file inside along with the executable file containing program. So far no major problems with beta here.

Gary

11. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

OK, I went through the entire process, including downloading of the workstation, and the key.
    This time all went smoothly. Now I can evaluate for 30 days.

I did sign up for the beta test, but when I went there the message was that there was no beta available. Not sure what that is about.

Thanks for the help, and I'll probably need more. I am running a scan so I will see how long it takes compared to F-Secure.

What is the workstation vs the premium?

Best,
    Jerry

12. WSFuser

teh difference is the workstation version can be remotely administered.

13. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks. I may try the beta a little later, but can't find how to download it. I am registered as a beta tester.

Not sure I am qualified, but I'll see how things go. If they are going well I might give it a try.

Best,
    Jerry

14. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

The first scan took 20:25.
    No detections, but 26 warnings. What are the warnings about?

Thanks,
    Jerry

15. ggf31416

ggf31416 Registered Member

Files in use (Don't worry, anyway they are scanned by the guard), password protected archives, etc

16. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks for the info.
    Best,
    Jerry

17. WSFuser

once u have ur username/password, login at the beta section then click on the Downloads link. u should see downloads relevant to the betas u signed up for.

i signed up for Avira AntiVir Personal Edition Premium with integrated Firewall and theres three files i can download.

18. Wai_Wai

Wai_Wai Registered Member

Avira is light and the detection is good. The scanning speed is fast.
    However it has many false positives, in contrast to McAfee and Norton which maintain very few false positives.

Reference: AV-test, AV-comparative

19. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

So far, all is going well. I have run two scans without ant FP. The scans took about 20 minutes, which is faster than NOD by about 12 minutes, and much faster than the 45-50 minutes of F-Secure.

In looking at startup entries with Win Patrol, and Task Manager, I am having trouble determining how Avira is listed since it does not show it as some other applications do.

So far, so good.

Thanks for all the help, and responses.
    Best,
    Jerry

20. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Since AntiVir beta was mentioned her earlier, I guess this is ok. I just installed AntiVir antivirus/firewall beta a few minutes ago. The install went smoothly. I'm not a big fan of suites, but this one is not bad. The antivirus and firewall components are easy to get to. Configuration is pretty straight forward. It seems to run as light as my AntiVir Premium. So far I'm happy with it.

21. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Graystoke,

As you get time let us know how you like it. I always hate to think of training a new firewall.
    Avira AV is running well with Kerio 2.1.5. I must admit that everything I have tried, including NOD, F-Secure, AVG, and Avast also have no conflicts with that firewall.

Regards,
    Jerry

22. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Is the price of a renewal the same as the initial cost of Avira?
    Thanks,
    Jerry

23. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

The last time I asked, the answer was yes.

24. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, Firecat.
    Best,
    Jerry

25. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

That's around $26 USD for a yearly renewal. That's not bad when compared to other AV renewal prices.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.