Current View of Avira?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Sep 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I realize that there have been discussions of Avira since the last AV Comparatives test.
    I am considering trying it on my laptop which now has F-Secure. I am not thinking of dumping F-Secure, but this is an opportunity to check out Avira.

I would appreciate comments by anyone who is using or has recently used the current build of Avira.

I have had the impression that updates of signatures has been a problem, maybe due to the download sites. Is this the case in your experience?

Have you found conflicts with other anti-malware applications? I am currently running real time the following,
    Ewido, LooknStop, Win Patrol, SuperAntiSpyware, Snoopfree, UnHackMe, Spyware Guard, and Spyware Blaster.
    I also have on demand, a-squared free and Zero Spyware.

I do not want the suite, but only the AV

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Other users may have a more comprehensive opinion of Antivir, but here is my two cent's worth.

The program runs fine on my PC with the following programs that you see on my signature line. I have encountered signature update delays due to server problems, but these have been sporadic. The only odd observation that I have found with using the program was the following:

The AV program would come up with a message alert about a trojan (Vundo) as the SuperAntiSpyware program was scanning a particular folder on my PC earlier this year. This may indicate a conflict when both programs were running and malware was actually present on the PC. The tech support person recommended to close the antivirus program before starting the antispyware scan.

Other than that, I haven't had any issues with the program.

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hi jerry as you are aware I have used the current build. it is a great light av that has fast ondemand scans and real time scanning. its best to try it yourself thou and i would like to know if you laptop goes alot faster with antivir installed instead of f-secure because im planing on doing it soon and since your gonna test it I hope you dont mind posting feedback about how much lighter it is compared to f-secure. and as far as i know there isnt any conflict with the above software.

I have only tryed the premium payed version and looking at the reports today it has only failed one or two updates and had 20 successful updates so it does seem good.
    hope this helps

lodore

4. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

The Update servers (eight of them for the Classic free) should be back to normal by next week.

Been enjoying excellent service for nine months (after nine years of NAV McAff.etc..

Big warning is to make sure you download from AVIRA Server, NOT a MIRROR!

On The AVIRA Download page the Mirrors are above "Download from AVIRA" and there are different downloads for WinXP/2k and Win98/ME.

Best to remove previous AV and wait until install reboot for 'Online Update'.

5. Drew99GT

Drew99GT Registered Member

The only time I've ever had an update problem was today and yesterday, but that's because the new version 6.36 is big and the free servers are overloaded. Other than that, one false positive, which was quickly looked at by Avira, and it's been the best antivirus I've had. Thank god I don't shell out 40 smackers a year for AV when you can get free software that's as good or maybe even better! Avira support, even with the free version, is awesome!

6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I like several, I love this one. Fast, accurate and reliable. Need I say more.

7. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

I am running the beta also and really like it. Vary smooth on my laptop so far and very light. And, the beta forum is very good also for support. Looking forward to the release.

Gary

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

trjam you forgot cheap:)

uk price is about £13

9. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I have not noticed that there is a trial download of the Premium version. Am I missing it?

I had not considered the beta.
    Thanks,
    Jerry

10. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I've been using AntiVir Premium for a couple of weeks now, and I'm happy with it. I can't speak for the free version, but I haven't had any problems with updates. I don't check the Reports that often, but I haven't seen an update failure notice yet. It runs very light, full system scans are fast, daily updates, no false positive occurrences so far with heuristics set at high.

Oh yeah, I really like the little umbrella icon. ;) :D

11. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

HI Graystoke,
    Thanks.
    Are you using a trial version of the Premium?

Jerry

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

btw jerry the normal 30 day trial doesnt have updates but if you register as beta tester you can use the beta test code for 30 days on the normal version to try it out. i dont know if this is allowed or not.
    the umbrella icon is my favorite av icon

trust the umbrella:)

13. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Hi JerryM.

No, I purchased a license. I did run the trial version, but it didn't include updates, so I only ran it for about 3 days. But since I liked everything about it except for that, I decided to go ahead and purchase it. Turns out it was a good decision. Shortly after purchasing, the new AV-Comparatives came out, and AntiVir scored very well. :)

14. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Lodore,
    Thanks. I just learned that the demo version does not update. A bummer.
    I would expect the free version to update, however.

I'll see if I can find the beta.

Regards,
    Jerry

15. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

HI Graystoke,

Thanks for the reply. I installed it but saw that the demo does not update. I may try to find the beta, or go for the free for a trial.

Regards,
    Jerry

16. lodore

lodore Registered Member

17. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, Lodore.
    I notice that the beta is a suite. I don't want to go for that. I wonder if I could just install the AV?

Jerry

18. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the idea is jerry is to sign up for the beta suite then just use the key on the normal version so you get the updates.

19. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

OK, and thanks again.
    Jerry

20. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the license file is called license.zip

21. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

My view of Avira-
    I use the scanner in the free version as a backup.

I have 10 months left on my Vba32 license and I'll look at the Premium version then as a possible alternative.
    It's the same $ and Avira runs lighter.I like to have a mail scanner so the Premium version will be of interest to me.

22. trjam

trjam Registered Member

there a few things yet to be added. Antispam is current, but I think they have a few other surprises and are holding back telling us. This guys do listen. They know that having a light application that can do a lot is what people want. I have been extremely impressed with how they have listened to feedback from the testers. From what I have seen, they are doing it right. Time will tell though.

23. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I got the link for a 30 day trial license.
    http://www.avira.com/en/products/test_licence.html

However, I could not open the key. It is an HBEDV.KEY, and would not open. I have no idea what to open it with. I think I will just stay with the free version for a trial. I hope if I buy it the license key will be easier to open.

Jerry

24. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

during antivir setup u can select which components to install.

im currently using the beta but i chose not to install the firewall, mail scanner, or antispam.
    you dont open it. u just point antivir to the key and it will recognize it.

----------------

as for the program itself, i like it very much. its pretty light on resources, scans are uberfast, and of course, good detection rates. i had one false positive but it was fixed shortly after submission.

25. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

WSFuser,
    [you dont open it. u just point antivir to the key and it will recognize it.]

How do I do that?
    Thanks,
    Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.