Cryptovore: Privacy News Feed & Digest

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by SteveTX, Oct 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveTX

SteveTX Registered Member

2. caspian

caspian Registered Member

The question in my mind has always been.....Is this really to fight terrorism? If it is, then why has the Bush Admin fought so hard against having any oversight? It has obviously been abused, and probably a lot more than anyone really knows. I get really upset about all of this, but all I know to do is to use a VPN, not give out personal info unless it is necessary, I sign petitions, I have contacted my Congressman by phone and be email on several occasions, and I donated to the EFF.

As for contacting my Congressman? That makes me really nervous now. I should not be made to feel that way in the US. It is sickening and most people are just going on with their day to day lives and barely notice. It's just amazing.

3. SteveTX

Consider if you were living in the UK. Every other day they announce a new fingerprinting or ID card scheme, new wiretapping plans, new surveillance task forces. The UK is an absolutely surveillance society in free-fall.

4. Fontaine

Fontaine Registered Member

Great link, Steve. Thanks!

Folks in the UK are getting hammered. We have it bad in the states, but not nearly as bad as UK.

5. caspian

Yes great link. Here is the article that really pisses me off:

Administration to Bypass Reporting Law Regarding Privacy

"But newly disclosed documents show that the Justice Department issued a legal opinion last January questioning the basis for that restriction, and that Michael Chertoff, the homeland security secretary, later advised Congress that the administration would not “apply this provision strictly” because it infringed on the president’s powers". :mad:

6. caspian

Yeah. People complain about the US but it looks like the UK is far worse.

7. SteveTX

New UK news today!

Fingerprint scanners now employed by cops on the street, to make sure you have fingerprints.

8. Fontaine

Fontaine Registered Member

What happened to Cryptovore? I subscribed via RSS and then all of a sudden, it stopped updating. Checked out the site and it looks like no updates.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.