Critique my Security Setup

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by whitedragon551, Apr 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Ive added LinkExtend to FF for search engines.

Im considering ditching Clam-AV Immunet for Threatfire in real time and using A-Squared Antimalware as on demand. Thoughts on Threatfire as the basis for the security?

2. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

good choice man;)

3. whitedragon551

Good choice. How so?

Ive said it in this thread before. Im looking for the lightest possible setup while maintaining security. How is Threatfire Behaviour blocker compared to your traditional antivirus like Avast or Avira in terms of resource usage?

4. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Set sensitivity to level 4, and you'll find it will alert on anything trying to install as a service/driver etc. a-squared on-demand is great too.

I have TF real-time (level 4, everything else default), a-squared on demand, hitman pro on demand/daily scan, and sandboxie for testing applications. Light as a feather.

5. whitedragon551

TF irritated me for some reason. The Windows 7 security center kept throwing up notices that I didnt have AV protection and blah blah blah. It slowed down my web browsing and email client considerably as well.

6. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Was this with browsers sandboxed. Could be a conflict with something else.

With ThreatFire and Mamutu, usually the longer you run them, over a few days, the lighter they get. Keep in mind, once installed, I'm assuming, they're working hard analysing various processes opening, system events etc.

The security centre is like a nagging mum, you don't need it to tell you what to do. Switch it off! :D

7. whitedragon551

It was with browsers sandboxed. The Security Center issue is still annoying.

8. Sully

Sully Registered Member

In the past, I liked threatfire. However, I did not like the disk access that came with it, too much for my tastes. But, that was some time ago, perhaps things have changed. I never noticed too much in terms of sluggishness really, but I could not handle the amount of disc activity.

Does it still access the disc so much? You can watch it, it has a defined pattern of checking files xzy and registry values 123, at least it used to.

Sul.

9. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

Some malware can still pass thru Threatfire's defenses IMO. :isay:
    I'd say go with Panda Cloud AV on its next official release and stick with what works for now.

10. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

In terms of resource usage TF is heavier than f.i. Avast. When you install only the file shield in Windowsx64, Avast has the lowest I/O and teh lowest CPU usage I have ever seen from free AV's I have tried (Panda, Avira, AVG, Rising, etc).

Regards Kees

11. whitedragon551

Ive already turned down Panda. Its lack of configuration is something to be desired and I certainly dont want to risk not being able to chose to delete/quarantine a file especially if its a false positive.

12. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

I see. I myself don't use it... but I do have hopes for the product.

13. whitedragon551

Back to Panda. The issues I had have been fixed and I can now choose scan locations as well as what to fix and what not to fix.

Ive also got rid of A-Squared, Avira, Avast and the other stuff I was testing. I use Panda Cloud AV in realtime and Hitman Pro as a on demand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.