Creating New CD w/ New Build

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Laurelton, Dec 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laurelton

Laurelton Registered Member

I've downloaded the latest build; my original CD wouldn't work in my Dell (SATA controller issue).

Hope this makes sense: is there a simple way to copy the new build's files to a new book disk I've created (with the new build) in order to have a fresh, complete disk that works? Would just like to have a replacement for the original disk.

TIA

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

3. Laurelton

Hi Ilya,

I guess so... I think. :)

I know, with the latest build, that I can create a "boot disk" which will now work. What I was thinking of doing was creating a new TI8 CD (which is also bootable, right?) to replace the one I bought, which does not work. Does that make sense? It's not a big deal if I can't, but if it's easy to do, I'd like to do it.

TIA
    L

4. rwinegar

rwinegar Registered Member

Hey Laurelton. Hello from Mifflinburg.

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Laurelton

As I understand it, you originally purchased a "boxed" (bootable CD?) version of TI 8 which didn't work with your Dell SATA controller. You then downloaded the latest build (786) which overcame the problem. Now you would like to create a self booting CD based on the downloaded TI 8 self extracting .exe file.

I haven't tried it myself as I don't have access to a boxed CD version of TI. However, it's somewhat longwinded but I think the following should work:

1. Change the .exe file extension of your downloaded TI program file to .zip and extract the contents to a temporary folder using WinZip.

2. Follow the instructions in this <post>, choosing to create a CD ROM (boot) rather than a DVD ROM (boot) and substituting your original "boxed" TI program CD for the boot rescue CD when using WinISO to extract the boot info file. Also, sustitute the TI program files extracted in step 1 above for the .tib files when creating the CD ROM (boot) compilation.

If you feel inclined to try it then let us know if it works or not.

Regards

EDIT

Ignore the instructions above. Having got my brain into gear again I realised that this wasn't going to work. I'll think about it some more and post back if I hit upon a working solution. Apols for any confusion caused.

Regards
    Tom

Last edited: Dec 18, 2004
  6. Laurelton

Hi Menorcaman,

Yes, that's it exactly.

Thanks very much for the *detailed* post. I read through it and will have to do so again before I understand everything. Unfortunately, I'm here at work right now and all my TI stuff is at home.

I own Nero, so that's no problem, but I've never heard of 'WinISO' or 'BCDW'. If I have to pay for those, I'll probably opt to leave well-enough alone, otherwise, I'll probably give it a try.

Maybe you could be kind enough to give me your opinion as to whether this effort is worth it? I thought so, by reasoning that a complete, original TI CD would provide functionality (ability to boot the entire program from CD?) which I would not get otherwise. Maybe that's not the case? Or maybe there isn't a situation where it would matter anyway.

In any case, thanks very much for the info! I appreciate it.

L

7. Menorcaman

Hi again Laurelton

Please see my edit in the previous post. Sorry for the bum steer :oops:
    If I can come up with an alternative (working!) solution I'll let you know.

Regards
    Tom

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Laurelton,

You may create a new bootable disk and then burn the installation packege into it with any burning software you have.

Thank you.

--
    Ilya Toytman

9. Laurelton

Thanks. Just getting back to this now that I have some free time over the holidays.

Upon further reading, I'm wondering if my original question was stupid, based on lack of understanding? :oops:

The rescue/boot CD that I've created... it DOES contain a self-running, self-contained, up-to-date (the last build) version of TI8, no? If so, that's all I'm looking for. If not, what's left out?

Thanks for your patience.

10. Zintar

Zintar Guest

Well you're probably missing such things as a Windows installable version of TI and maybe the manual PDF file. However, since you would use the boot CD to recover your system which already has a TI install and the manual, it wasn't clear to me why you wanted to go to the extra effort.

11. Menorcaman

Hi again Laurelton

Yes and no. A new "Full" bootable rescue CD will contain a self-running, up-to-date version of TI but is Linux based rather than running under Windows. As such, it may or may not detect all your hardware devices, doesn't carry out scheduled backups, can't create bootable rescue media or create images direct to DVD etc.

Even if you can live with most of the limitations above, you'll need to install the Windows version at some stage in order to update to a later build and create an updated boot rescue CD if nothing else.

By the way, what Ilya suggested wont work because once the rescue CD has been created it's "finalised" and therefore has no free space available to then include the self extracting TI installation file.

Regards

12. Laurelton

Most of this was probably my misunderstanding based on lack of time to read everything throroughly. I think I've got it now.

One more question: the TI image that's created - whether on another HD, another partition, or on DVD... it's basically a standalone file which can be moved/copied/burned to other locations, right? I ask because I tried directly imaging to another location on our network here at home and it reported that it would take some inordinately large amount of time - like 18 hours! - whereas the image created to another partition only took like 20 minutes. I can just copy/move that image wherever I like, right? Don't really understand why it would take TI so long to do it directly...

Thanks again.

13. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Laurelton

Correct, as long as you have access to it with Ti to explore or restore.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

14. Laurelton

Thank you. The more I use TI, the more I like it.

15. Menorcaman

My apologies to Ilya. It seems that the TI Rescue Media Builder doesn't finalise the CD when finished after all :oops: . You can in fact burn the self extracting TI installation file to it provided you choose the option in your burning software to continue with a multisession disk.

However I'm not sure what this achieves, other than saving one CD, as you can't install TI after booting from the rescue CD.

Regards

menorcaman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.