Creating my home LAN

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Detox, Jul 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan Perez

Dan Perez Retired Moderator

Cool!

It's a pain to have to recreate it but things like that help you get a better sense for the overall setup and you will be able to better troubleshoot any future issue. Regarding the 10Mb/100Mb. Have you confirmed that the older NIC supports 100mb? Also, and especially if that card is an ISA Bus NIC, some NICs require a vendor-specific utility to set the speed as well as to enable full duplex operation. Otherwise, you go to the properties of the NIC (where you see it along with the protocols) and make sure it is set to Auto detect or 100Mb full duplex. If you are forced to specify the speed here it may be necessary to specify it on the newer system but that depends on a lot of factors).

Anyways, let us know when/if you have any questions/issues ;)

2. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I've set the older NIC to full duplex - but it doesn't seem to have 100mbps capability.

Anyway I can't figure out why the old puter was able to ping the internet but couldnt load web pages - except a friends ftp page...

Starting to wonder if one of those routers would be the way to go afterall.. I can share folders but really having trouble with the internet - sometimes the win2k machine loses net connection until i disable the LAN connection - that happened in the middle of use today!

I can get a Cisco 800 router through my sister at the IBM employee surplus store in Austin for $8...

3. Dan Perez

Dan Perez Retired Moderator

regarding any problem accessing the Internet from the Win2k system, you need to make sure that there is only one default route by typing at the command line

route print

there should only be one entry with 0.0.0.0

if there are two there is a misconfig, probably due to to a "gateway" being specified on the settings for the private net card.

As to the router, that is frequently the best way to go but as you pointed out with regard to the games, there are some internet applications that may not work as intended if you use the router. So it's a judgement call. I'm not familiar with that model router but I believe it does not have a hub/switch integrated. If that is the case, you will need one of these plus two straght through (not crossover) cables. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.