Creating Image Failure

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by seekermeister, Oct 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seekermeister

seekermeister Registered Member

Thank you. I shall assume that applies to TI11 as well, so I guess that I wasted my time downloading it. Or, at least, I shall have to wait until I get one of my other OSs up and running to try it out on.

2. seekermeister

I finally received a response from support, but all that it was, was a request for more details and screenshots. I have no idea of how to be any more detailed than I have been already, and what should I take a screenshot of...the error dialog that I have already described word for word? This is beginning to look like a hopeless cause. I think that the only step left is to reinstall TI10...are there any particular cautions that I should take to do this? In other words, will TI10 cleanly uninstall all traces of itself...outside of registry keys, which I can cleanup myself (assuming that my reg cleaner finds them).

Last edited: Oct 6, 2007
  3. seekermeister

I have finally solved the problem. I reinstalled TI10, but that didn't do the job. Although I had cleaned the registry, I had forgotten to search for any remaining files. When I searched, the Acronis file in Application Data had folders not only for TI, but also Maxtor and DDS. This caused me to remember what had been said about installing two different versions of TI at the same time. Since MaxBlast is a lite version of TI, I uninstalled it, and for good measure DDS also. This time it worked and the x64 image is being made as I type. Now comes the biggest question yet...when attempting to restore the image, since TI won't do both at the same time, do I have TI run the image first, or the MBR and track 0, or does it matter?

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Seems like you're doing well now.

If your MBR is good, there is no need to restore it. I don't know if I've ever restored a MBR with TI.

In earlier versions, in the Restore Wizard you select the image and then go through the wizard until you come to a screen that asks you if you want to restore another partition or not. If you answer yes, it takes you back and you can then select the MBR/track 0 box. This will cause both to be restored. I don't think it matters if you do image or the MBR first when going through the restore wizard.

5. seekermeister

Is the MBR and track 0, that the wizard offers, items copied from the partition of the original? The reason that I ask is because I believe that those were corrupt and are the reason that I was unable to boot to that OS. I'm hoping that TI's recovery process will creat these fresh so that the problem is cured. Is that a futile expectation? Also, I'm going to recover to a different drive than the original, so there shall be no MBR or track 0 there...at least if the low level format that I'm going to do works.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2007
  6. seekforever

The MBR is the one that existed on the disk when the image was made.

Have a look at:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=55317

near the bottom about fixing the Master Boot Record. There is a link to the Acronis site that provides a plain MBR. This will work but if you have something special setup in the MBR such as dual-booting that modifies the MBR then this will remove it.

Another option if you don't have anything on the HD is to boot up your Windows installation CD and pretend you are setting up Windows from scratch and setup a C partition then kill it when it wants to copy files. There are various MBR utilities on the net, I'm sure.

7. seekermeister

Thanks. I have burned the MBR CD, but before using it, I'm wondering if you know if it will creat track 0 as well as the MBR?

I'm not too fond of the idea of using XP's repair installation, because it does some damage to program files, etc. and those are what I'm most interested in preserving. If all else fails, then I shall resort to it.

8. seekforever

Sorry, I don't know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.