creating a rescue disk

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by kelkay, Sep 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kelkay

kelkay Registered Member

I have neglected to create a rescue disk, so thought I would today. It did not find some large file Windows AIK. So now I am having to download it. From what I understand it is over a gigabyte. I am supposed to download, put the file on no telling how many CD-Rs...and then load this onto the computer? Then I get to push next on the create rescue cd under tools? So I have to keep over a gigabyte on my computer, or can I delete it once I have it all on CD-Rs? I am not sure if I want to go through this or not. I have never seen an antivirus need so much memory for a rescue disk. Why can we not just be able to create a disk with one or two cds? This is definitely not something for a novice.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Windows AIK helps you to install, customize, and deploy the Microsoft Windows Vista family of operating systems. Even though the installer is about 1 GB in size, Windows PE will fit on one CD. You can uninstall Windows AIK and its installer once you create a rescue CD. Also it's possible to use other kinds of boot CDs (Bart PE, Ultimate Boot CD, etc.) and copy ecls.exe along with all dat files from the ESET install folder to it.

3. kelkay

kelkay Registered Member

I am not sure what Windows PE is. I have Windows XP. So I am still unsure if I need to put the Window AIK file on disks, and then put in the cdrom drive. I have the file right now on my desktop. This is still a bit confusing to me.

4. Brambb

Brambb Registered Member

The file you downloaded is a .iso CD image. You need to install the program (WAIK) which is on that image. After that you can follow the steps in ESS/EAV to make a rescue CD.

More information here: 'How do I use ESET SysRescue to create a bootable USB flash drive, CD or DVD? (4.0)'

5. kelkay

kelkay Registered Member

I will look at that link, thank you. :doubt:

6. kelkay

kelkay Registered Member

So if I am looking at this correctly, I need to put this file on cd or flash...then put it on computer. I cannot just double click this file to run it. So this would take many many cds to run, as I do not have any dvds.
    From the link you provided it says this <<<You may have to download and install other files before installing the Windows Automated Installation Kit,>>> how in the world will I know what OTHER FILES I may have to install first? I am feeling very overwhelmed with this process, and have never had to create a rescue cd in this way before. Why cannot ESET make an easier way for those less computer savvy?

7. Brambb

Brambb Registered Member

A ISO file is like a archive file made to easily burn on CD's, you need to burn it on CD so you can see the contents of the .iso file. You only need one file from the .iso image to install, Microsoft put it in with some other files (and installs for all operating systems) which might be of use when creating WinPE boot-able media.

You can also use (for example, there are many others) PowerISO to unpack the contents of the .iso file or mount the .iso image on its virtual CD player. Then you do not have to waste a CD for it, but it will cost you a extra program on the computer :).

After doing the above to install WAIK is pretty easy to follow the SysRescue wizard within the ESET program.

8. kelkay

kelkay Registered Member

I need another program to unpack the file, after I put this on cds...then load on computer too? I have no idea what an ISO file looks like, or what I would be looking for to do this. Thank you for trying to help me. I will reread all of these directions, but it does seem to be very complicated. :doubt:

9. kelkay

kelkay Registered Member

Image Mastering API v2.0 (IMAPIv2.0) update package that is dated June 26, 2007...looks like I will have to have this too...according to that instruction page. :blink: I hope I don't mess up my computer trying to get all of these extra files, and run them. o_O

It looks like I cannot use just a regular CD-R to do this, I need DVD-R, which I don't have. I have a USB Flash Drive, but I guess that wouldn't work, since they didn't mention it. Well, I guess I won't be able to do this until I go get some DV-Rs now. Surely ESET can come up with something better for those of us who have Windows XP.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  10. Brambb

Brambb Registered Member

It's not for nothing that SysRescue is under the 'Advanced' menu from the GUI ;)!

But for real, the only hassle is to install WAIK from the .iso image you downloaded (6001.18000.080118-1840-kb3aik_xx.iso - or similar). And thats more Microsoft to blame then ESET. As posted by Marcos you are also able to use other boot CD's, where you only need to copy some files into, but using that CD would be more troublesome.

If you don't have a DVD to burn it on and don't want to install a virtual CD drive I can send you a pm with the file you need to download and install. Then all you need to do is to follow the SysRescue wizard. In the worst case you also may have to install .net framework. The program you mentioned is only for burning a CD with the SysRescue wizard, if you make a image (.iso) or use a flashdrive to make it on you don't need that program.

11. Davel

Davel Registered Member

I recently installed the WAIK for Windows 7 and every time I try to create the Sysrecue CD it complains that the AIK isn't installed. I have browsed to just about every folder in the AIK install and the utility fails to find the AIK Tools every time. Is this a Windows 7 quirk or has anyone managed to create a disk on 7? Am I missing something?

Thanks

Dave

12. Marcos

First of all, you've posted to the NOD32 v2 forum instead of the ESET NOD32 Antivirus forum.

As for AIK, the following version must be installed in order for SysRescue to create a rescue media: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...6D-15F3-4284-9123-679830D629F2&displaylang=en

13. Davel

Davel Registered Member

Hi Marcos,

Sorry for posting in the wrong version forum, but in my defense, I just joined and I posted a reply to an exisiting thread on the subject.

Thanks for the link, which I see points to the Vista AIK. I guess this means that there is an issue with the Win7 AIK.

Thanks
    Dave

14. Davel

Davel Registered Member

Hi Marcos,

I downloaded the Vista AIK and installed it on my Vista machine and get the same result. Also installed it on an XP Pro machine again the same result. It is just like the screen dumps in the archived forum link https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=225876

Should I be doing something with the AIK after I installed it? I must be missing something as I have now installed and failed with the same symptoms on three different platforms. Which files is the SysRescue wizard looking for when it says it can't find them?

Thanks

Dave

15. dennis227

dennis227 Registered Member

I had trouble unzipping the AIK file from Windows. Finally I used the free zip program
    (7ZIP) which allows you to unzip this AIK package. One unzipped I was able to run waikx86 which creates Windows AIK folder under Program directory. Once this is done ESET NOD32 will recognize the correct folder when creating Rescue CD.
    I tested my Rescue CD and it works great.

16. Davel

Davel Registered Member

Thanks for your reply. My AIK seems to have installed OK and the folders are where NOD32 seems to expect to find them but still fails to see it as installed. The wizard offers a browse to folder option populated with the path to the tools folder in the AIK which is the correct path, but which ever folder I browse to it fails. I does this on XP, Vista and Windows 7

Has anyone any Clues?

Thanks

17. Marcos

Since SysRescue is encorporated in v3/v4, we'll move the thread to the appropriate forum.

18. trencan

trencan Eset Staff

AIK must be of version 6.0.6001.18000. It can be downloaded here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...34-D890-4932-81A5-5B50C657DE08&displaylang=en

For now it's the only version which works with SysRescue wizard. You can check version of your installed AIK for example via version info of file "c:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\x86\imagex.exe".

Regarding AIK for Win 7, its support in SysRescue wizard is already finished but needs to pass testing.

19. Overtime

Overtime Registered Member

New to this forum....so be gentle please.

I'm having the same problems creating a rescue CD.

I downloaded the AIK file, saved it to my desktop, copied it to a DVD but when running the wizard, it keeps telling me it can't find it.

I also have the IMAPI on my PC (XP/SP3)

One thing I didn't do was "install" the AIK file...but there doesn't seem to be that option (or at least I can't figure out how to do it). Doing a search for "AIK" only returns the file I saved to my desktop (nothing in "Program Files" or anywhere else on my HD).

Any suggestions?

Thanks

20. trencan

trencan Eset Staff

Once you download AIK iso image file from web, you need to burn to DVD via option "burn image" in your burning SW. So after burning you should see several files on your DVD.

Install AIK: Then you run setup.exe. For XP you need also to install MSXML6.0 and dotnet. Both installation packages are on your DVD.

As soon as AIK is installed, SysRescue wizard should detect it and use it.

21. Davel

Davel Registered Member

Thanks trencan. After fighting with Microsofts AIK download, I finally got the correct version down and installed and after a reboot the rescue disk was created with ease. Works very well!

Thanks again

Dave

22. Overtime

Overtime Registered Member

trencan....thanks for getting back so quick. I just got back in town and saw your reply.
    I downloaded the AIK ISO file (the name of the file is
    "6001.18000.080118-1840-kb3aikl_en.iso"), saved it to my desktop, then burned it to a DVD. I only have 1 file on the DVD (a 1.34GB ISO file....it appears to be the same one I downloaded and copied to the DVD).

If I try to open the copy on the DVD, it asks is I want to download or save the file and neither option does anything.

If I try to open the copy on my desktop, it asks the same thing, but won't do anything if I try to open it, and if I try to save it, it tells me I already have the same file.

Any ideas??

Thanks

PS...I was working with ESET support via emails trying to fix this but haven't haven't gotten any response since 10/27/09....

23. trencan

trencan Eset Staff

You need to burn content of the iso image to DVD, not the .iso file itself. Iso file is image of CD/DVD filesystem. For example, in Nero burning SW you do this via Recorder -> Burn Image, in CDBurnerXP Pro via File -> Write Disc from ISO File.

Or you can use some of CD/DVD emulation tools, e.g. Daemon tools. It allows to mount ISO image as virtual CD/DVD drive.

24. Davel

Davel Registered Member

Can anyone tell me if SysRescue is only designed to work correctly on a PC that has NOD32 already installed?

I have tried to use my Rescue CD to scan known infected machines prior to installing the full product. The scanner progress suggests it is scanning, showing it running through various folders. However, it ends in about 2 or 3 minutes and says it scanned 0 objects and found 0 infections.

Thanks

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.