Created new drive over VeraCrypt drive - Restore headers?

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by mrmr, May 13, 2018.

1. mrmr

mrmr Registered Member

Hey everyone,

I have a 2TB HDD that used to contain a hidden volume inside an outer container. Because I was stupid and not paying attention I accidentally created a new partition in Windows Disk Manager on the hard drive that contained my unmounted containers.

Now if I try to mount the containers VeraCrypt tells me that they could not be found, but if I check the "use backup header embedded in volume if available" under Mount Options the container seems to be recognized - both show up in VeraCrypt with the right sizes. However I cannot seem to access the files, the drive is show to have a size of 0B and everytime I try to open it I get a access denied error.

Considering that the backup headers still seem to exist, what is my best course of action? I'm afraid of incurring irreparable damage to my containers if I try to let VeraCrypt fix the issue.

So I guess my question is two-fold:

1. What's the best way to save a complete image of the current drive so I might restore it if a recovery operation fails? I was going to give DriveImage XML a shot...
    2. Should I let VeraCrypt try to unencrypt the containers? Any other way I can restore the headers from the backup headers on the drive? I only really care about the hidden volume.

Any help is much appreciated.

2. mrmr

mrmr Registered Member

Anyone have a suggestion on what to do?
    I'd hate to lose that data permenantly :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.