Crazy smartphone camera war!

Discussion in 'hardware' started by aigle, Jul 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I thinks it,s really getting crazy. Phone related web sites go on comparing top smartphones with cameras like Sony Experia Z, iPhone 5, Galaxy S4, HTC one etc and consumers also seem to care for this.

Recently announced Lumia 1020 with 45 MP Preview camera and upcoming Sony Honami with 20 MP Camera are going to take this war to a whole new level. These smartphones are more of a camera and less of a phone.

I personally don't need high end camera in my smartphone. Either no camera or a medium specs cam might be enough for me as I am not fond of photography. I see no choice for me if I want to buy a high end smartphone with a mediorice but decent cam or no cam at all.

I guess lot if consumers are paying for cams in the phones unnecessarily while they don,t need it. They have to pay for something that they might never use in really.

I wish some companies launch high end phones without cams too. What,s your opinion about this?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Don't forget 4K video recording lol, now just need a UHD TV or smartphone PPI on larger monitors.

Honestly, I won't buy it if the camera increases the price too much.

3. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Don't buy a phone based on how many pixels the camera has, it's a phone and not a camera. I will not like/dislike it more because it has X amount of pixels, it can have 100MP but that won't change the fact that it's still a phone :blink:

If you like taking photos maybe as your hobby then you better buy a real "normal" camera from a camera manufacturer.

4. Noob

Noob Registered Member

The Nokia 41MP sensor does a very very good job taking pictures. If it was Android i would definitely get one. :rolleyes:

5. akh

akh Registered Member

Hi aigle,

An explanation for the increased focus (excuse the pun) on engineering ever higher quality mobile phone cameras is for the simple reason that manufacturers are finding it more difficult to differentiate their hardware from the competition.

Two contributing factors are that, first, high-end phones tend to have very similar hardware specifications, for example, the latest SoC, multiple cores, high and large resolution screens, ever larger batteries. Second, there is less room for innovative hardware design since today's smartphones follow the same fundamental design of a rectangle with a large touchscreen, and perhaps a few buttons added to the mix. For the most part hardware has become secondary to the content on the screen, the software.

Which leaves the camera. The camera is one of the few hardware elements manufacturers can innovate on to separate their phone from their competitor's. Arguably battery life is another. I know I'd prefer manufacturers to instead focus on battery life rather than the cameras in their phones, but I am certain it will happen provided the smartphone market remains as competitive as it has been in recent years.

6. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Neither do I. But, I only buy cheap Chinese phones, not high end brand name phones, so I don't get a high end camera. My current phone has an 8MP Sony camera, and my new phone which I should have in about a week, only has a 5MP camera.

The cost for a low end camera is next to nothing - you can get an Android phone with a camera for under $20. I would never own a phone without a camera.

7. roger_m

Samsung is doing a lot in terms of both hardware and software to make their phones stand out from other smart phones.

I think limitations on battery are due to the limits of current battery technology. I'm sure manufacturers would include higher capacity batteries if they could.

8. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

It is a little bizarre re the HUGE photo files.
    Storage on the phone/camera will become an issue ??

Ever tried to email several massive photos?
    I see the phone camera as an adjunct not the primary function of a smart phone/tablet.

If you want high end photography: get a good camera.
    Depth focus field etc.

Camera HW and options will always trump a phone at the high end.
    Even small cameras are phenomenal now.
    Having said that: when will some smart phone co link up with GOPro: a go pro on a phone woo hoo :D

Then weather proofing becomes an issue....etc etc

9. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

10. hawki

hawki Registered Member

I'm not sure it's a crazy bad thing. Fact is the Camera/Phone has introduced a lot of peeps to the wonderful world of photography.

Many important newsworthy events have some of their best angles photographed on smart phones and the smartphone is bringing a lot of important images to the web.

With its Carl Zeiss lens and Image stabilization at a $299 price, for those into smart cameraphone's "always with you" appeal the Lumia 1020 might actually be viewed as a bargain.

(Admission-speaking as a former photography addict who prior to camera phones ALWAYS had a small high quality 35mm camera with him)

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Agree but I only want to have a choice of high end smart phones without a revolutionary camera.

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Exactly what I wish to do. Unfortunately I can,t find phones from white box Chinese manufactures here in Saudi Arabia.

Do you mind to mention your phone models and your experience with them.

Thanks

13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I will like to have a mid range decent cam as that might be useful even though I am not find of photography. Only I don't like to pay for a bleeding edge cam in a phone.

14. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Im fine with good cameras in phones. They are a bonus! (Which we pay for)

15. roger_m

I order my phones direct from China. I purchased my last one from a retailer on Aliexpress.com, my first one from mobile-phones.cn who I can recommend.

My phones:
    Star A3 - good quality phone, but processor was a bit slow, and storage space was very limited, also poor quality camera

Ulefone/iStar V1277 - enhanced model with Sony 8MP camera, quite fast due to a dual core processor, but limited due to only having 512MB of RAM, and also WCDMA 850MHz band is not working properly which limits my reception in some areas.

Haipai i9389 - I haven't received this yet, but a quad core phone so very fast, with 1GB of RAM

The screen quality on both the A3 was V1277 was very good, and the V1277 has an IPS screen. The actual build quality of the phones is pretty good considering the price.

16. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I've always wanted a Xiaomi phone, the look pretty good.

17. roger_m

The Mi3 looks awesome.

There a quite a few high end phones Chinese phones around at the moment.

18. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Yeah, sadly they are always sold minutes after launch and as of now, it is only sold in China.

19. roger_m

There a many only Chinese retailers which ship world wide, and a lot of them do pre orders of upcoming phones.

20. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  21. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Forgot Oppo, they are another brand with potential.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.