Crashing win 2003 server

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by djzapp, Aug 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djzapp

djzapp Guest

Have any one tried installing Port Explorer on a win 2003 enterprise server??
    I did and it crashed my server for good. All services/programs using any kind of port would not start up after a reboot. Even when I removed Port explorer there were still problems with DNS, DHCP, Proxy and firewall.
    I know for shure it was Port Explorer's fault because I reinstalled the server and did it again twice. :(

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hello, djzapp, Port Explorer is not Windows 2003 Server compatible - Sorry :'(

3. djzapp

djzapp Guest

I thourgh so.. But I just wrote it so other people don't do the same mistake as I. ;)

4. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

I'm very sorry this happened to you.
    It's on the first page and the download page which windows versions are compatible.
    http://www.diamondcs.com.au/portexplorer/index.php?page=download
    Trying on other versions can be a risk, but it's first time i read about sush a destruction, in other occasions it just didn't run as expected.
    But they're working on it for a next release, so check back once in a while.
    Could the OpenPorts commandline version help you better for the moment?

5. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

We are still awaiting a response from Microsoft on what they have changed in 2003 before we can fix any issue. Sorry.

-Jason-

6. Jason_DiamondCS

Ok 2003 has been fixed and will work with Port Explorer now, just await v1.800 :)

-Jason-

7. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Jason, Are there major dfferences between XP & 2003 apart from the fact that 2003 has everything turned off by default and, of course, 2003's added server capabilities?

8. Jason_DiamondCS

There isn't many MAJOR differences really. It does include .NET (DOT NET) by default, which a lot of people say makes their computers slower. The problem PE had was Microsoft changed its versioning information from Release Candidate 1 (Originally Windows DOT NET) which is what we tested Port Explorer on originally. So the DLL was thinking it was being installed onto a Windows 95 machine instead of an NT classed machine. Was much easier to fix than I thought.

There aren't many reasons to upgrade from XP for a while. Even Longhorn doesn't have much to offer over Windows XP. There was a reason to upgrade from Windows 98 (Microsoft's largest OS at the time), and that was stability mostly, with a few hardware updates added in. Windows 2003 is probably just as secure as XP in the real world (as can be seen by recent worm attacks ;) ).

-Jason-

9. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Jason, Thanks for the info

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.