CRASH: LnS 2.05p2 / beta driver (2005)

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by halcyon, May 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halcyon

halcyon Registered Member

I managed to get my Look'n'Stop 2.05p2 (with 2005 beta driver) to crash for the first time. Yes, I grant it's beta, so this is just FYI.

WHAT HAPPENED?
    =============
    I had just created a new rule from the log tab so that I could have my LAN printer (10.0.0.20) talk to netbios port (138 UDP) on my computer (which is protected by LnS).

I created the rule, went to Internet filtering tab and activated "The rule warns the forbidden packets" column so that I see on the log when this rule is active).

I switched to the Log tab and saw the new rule activate and allow netbios packet from trusted address 10.0.0.20 to get through.

I selected that log entry and choose "Look".

Upon doing this I got a blank window with no contents. Look'n'Stop stopped responding altogether. I had to kill it via the Task Manager.

WHAT IT RESULTED IN?
    =================

After this I had to manually start the Look'n'Stop gui/admin part (the software that sits in the systray).

Upon doing this, my serial number had been lost (i.e. I had to re-validate).

Also, my Internet Filtering rules had resetted to the basic "StandardRuleSet" from my modified Phantom v6 rule set.

Furthermore, the Application Filtering tab had now been completely cleared (now applications visible in that tab).

REPEATABLE
    ==========

I'm going to restart now and see if it's repeatable.

My system is stable otherwise, no applications crashes before.

I can provide more details per request, if needed.

Again, this is not a criticism, just a FYI.

regards,
    halcyon

2. halcyon

halcyon Registered Member

I've tried to repeat this crash, but on three successive attempts have failed.

Odd thing is, I don't have other system instability on my machine.

Oh well :)

3. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi,

So actually, it's not really a crash but an application Lock.
    The bad thing with this kind of problem is there no crash dump to investigate :(

The other behevior you encountered (options are reset) is probably because you killed the application.
    I suspect you had a #1 in the title of the new Look 'n' Stop you started. This indicates a new instance was created and actual the first one was still known from the DLL & Drivers (killing an exe unfortunately doesn't allow to close properly the DLL & Drivers access).
    And when a 2nd instance is started it has its own parameters, that's why you thought everything was reset.

So, the root cause is only about the 1st operations you did that caused Look 'n' Stop to block, if you succeed in reproducing that, let me know the exact steps.

Thanks,

Frederic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.