CPU usage weird

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by MPHCPA, Jul 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MPHCPA

MPHCPA Registered Member

I just upgraded to Nod32 V3.0669.0

When I bring up task manager my CPU usage is al over the place 100--50--18-2-5-2-18-33-50. This happens after a warm boot and before I click on any programs.

I am running 2.8 Pentinum, 1 gig Rambus Ram, Windows XP (SP2), Zone Labs(latest update) and CounterSpy.

This never happened with v2.7.

Any insight would be appreciated. I want to stick with NOD 32 (I have been a user since v2.5) but have my doubts.

Thanks,

Marty

2. Kosak

Kosak Registered Member

Hello,

is your NOD32 set up default or did you change something? Which programs do you run, when ekrn.exe start use a lot of CPU? Try to disable CounterSpy.

3. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hello Marty,

Considering Counterspy has various features that could be in conflict with Nod, I would suggest temporarily disabling all or as many features as possible of Counterspy to see if there in lies the conflict\high CPU usage.

4. MPHCPA

MPHCPA Registered Member

Thanks, I will try. I never had this problem with 2.7. Any recommendations as to a spyware (excluding ESS) that plays better with V3?

5. MPHCPA

MPHCPA Registered Member

I cannot be specfic. The only change I made was uninstalling V2.7 and installing V3.0. This was with the typical instal.

6. Kosak

Kosak Registered Member

So, turn off CounterSpy and tell us result, please.

7. MPHCPA

MPHCPA Registered Member

Bounces between 2 - 4 - 7 -11-15 cpu usage.

8. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Kind of hard to improve on those numbers, so the question would be which of the 30? Active Protection Monitor features of Counterspy is fighting with Nod ?

9. MPHCPA

MPHCPA Registered Member

You are right! Now the question is do I dump Counterspy for another program or dump Zone Alarm and jump to ESS?

Gotta think about that!

I want to thank everyone for all their help.

Marty

10. Joan Archer

Joan Archer Registered Member

Dump Zone Alarm and go with Online Armor ;)

11. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

I'm using ZA never has a single problem with CPU usage. basically its welcome to Nod V3 and the way it works. And funny thing happened when I Uninstalled Eset. everything worked fine again. :eek: as for Online Armor he said he wanted less CPU not more. :rolleyes: Also Eset just seems to conflict with a lot of programs if your wanting to keep those programs. you may have to look else ware or disable a good majority of what the other programs offer you. :cautious:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2008
  12. MPHCPA

MPHCPA Registered Member

Thanks for everybody's help.

It's interesting what happens when programs make a major upgrade. I did not have these "problems' with V2.7. Pehaps I will play around with ESS so I can tear some more hair out - LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.