Covered all my bases?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by CraigM31, Aug 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CraigM31

CraigM31 Registered Member

I own a Dell computer that runs Windows Vista. I have activated/installed the following security features:

1. Spy Sweeper
    2. Kaspersky Internet Security 2009
    3. Carbonite
    4. Windows Defender/updates (automatic installation)/Windows Vista Firewall
    5. Mozilla Firefox
    6. Finjan
    7. CCleaner
    8. Have a pass word for my Sprint account
    9. Latest version of SandBoxie

Have I now covered all my potential weak areas? (sorry I'm a newbie to internet security so if this sounds ignorant etc. that's why) :D

2. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

You should consider disabling either Windows Defender or Spy Sweeper or both as you are getting a lot of overlap there. Also, KIS 2009 has a built in firewall which is superior to the Vista firewall and you should not have both enabled at the same time anyways. I would download SuperAntiSpyware free version for an on demand scan every week or two. Also would add SpywareBlaster. A hardware router with built in firewall would help as well as an image program.

3. CraigM31

CraigM31 Registered Member

Thanks for the valuable info acr1965!
    Right now I run both Windows Vista's firewall and Kaspersky's (with no conflict) When I only ran Kaspersky's FW and tested my security with Shields Up I was told that my "stealth" tests had failed? When I turned on Vista's firewall everything was fine? Also what's an image program and where can I get a hardware router with built in firewall ?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  4. ParadigmShift

ParadigmShift Registered Member

Purchase a router (with an integrated firewall), setup a Limited User Account with a Software Restriction Policy and use this account for all Internet access. Uninstall Spy Sweeper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.