Counterspy...

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Atomas31, Jul 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HKEY1952

HKEY1952 Registered Member

There will be times when all of us will author bad Posts now and then. We will Post the wrong information, give bad advice, Post rude statements, and maybe even bash an product.
    It is human nature and we are all guilty or innocent at one time or another. My Post in the Quote is an good example of one of those Posts. Although I firmly adhere to what I
    Posted, I see now that I could have and should have Posted in an more fair manner. User firzen771 demands proof of my Posted accusations and frizen771 is correct, one must provide
    proof and facts when making such harsh statements. So if you will accept and allow me to Re-Post the way I should have in the first place, I will provide this proof and facts.

Two computers both Microsoft Windows XP Home SP2.
    One computer Windows Firewall only. SuperAntiSpyware Free.
    The second computer reputable installed Firewall. SuperAntiSpyware Retail.

I installed SuperAntiSpyware and ran it, tested it with my methods and tools, and did extensive research on the product. This testing was almost an year ago now, so some things
    in the program may have changed. I started out with the free version of SuperAntiSpyware and first off discovered that the program installation complained and refused to install
    claming that the Firewall was blocking the installation. I had no Firewall installed and Windows Firewall on Microsoft Windows XP Home was disabled. Did some research on different
    Forums including SuperAntiSpywares and discovered that I was not the only one experiencing this behavior. Enabled Windows Firewall and the product installed without any problems.
    I find this very odd behavior. Now the Program is installed and I try Performing an Update. Same issue, SuperAntiSpyware complains that the Firewall is blocking the communications
    to Update. Well, the Firewall, Windows Firewall on one computer and an reputable installed Firewall on another computer existed the Firewall Rules that SuperAntiSpyware support
    informed me to include. The two files that SuperAntiSpyware Support instructed me to allow through the Firewall both reside in the SuperAntiSpyware Directory. I noticed that every
    time I tried to Update SuperAntiSpyware, SuperAntiSpyware placed an copy of the updater executable in the TEMP Directory of the Administrative Account I was in. I have never in
    all my years of computing witnessed any program perform that kind of behavior. So I added the updater executable in the TEMP Directory to both Firewalls and the program Updated.
    Now that is an bunch of BS. I did some research again and discovered that I was not the only one experiencing this behavior. Next I discover that I can not Disable the feature
    called First Chance Prevention in the Free version. According to my tests First Chance Prevention is active right at the Windows Log on Screen where one enters their Windows Password.
    What is this BS and I can not even Disable this feature, this is unacceptable behavior. Searching for answers on the SuperAntiSpyware Forum and other Forums I found the CEO to be
    very rude to Posters and Clients, the CEO's answers to questions are also very vague and incomplete. The retail version of SuperAntiSpyware exhibits the exact same behavior as the
    Free Version except the client can disable the First Chance Prevention, WOW. The program is not innovative and only uses borrowed existing technology. There are too many recompilations
    of the executable which leads me to believe the program is designed to Poke around the Operating System looking for vulnerabilities. These discovered vulnerabilities may not be used or
    compromised by SuperAntiSpyware as I believe that SuperAntiSpyware is an Trojan reaping these vulnerabilities for another market. In order to remain installed on the System the
    program must be able to remove infections in an above average fashion of which SuperAntiSpyware does.

Now, call me paranoid, crazy, whatever, I do not trust SuperAntiSpyware because my method of testing and tools have proven to me that it can not be trusted.

HKEY1952

2. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

lol idk bout the firewall thing, but to update any program, rules need to be made in the firewall to allow its components, thats normal in any case, and the first chance protection can be disabled in every version of SAS i can confirm this myself. personally never had a problem with SAS, never gave me issues and has always worked well in removing more spyware than most other apps similar to it. and for a program that apprently "borrows" all their tech (which u still have yet to show me how u know this is true" they sure do a better job than those people theyre supposedly borrowing from... :rolleyes:

so in conclusion i will say this post is better written but u still havent shown me this proof of "seeing other people on random forums with this issue and it happening to such a large amount of the users that it was an isolated issue with certain security setups), plz post some proof, reports of these "significant issues" anything? u backing urself up with only ur own "proof" doesnt show much...

3. HKEY1952

Don't go twisting my words around! You better go back and read my Post! I clearly stated that both Firewalls were Disabled.
    With both Firewalls disabled the product should install and update. AND IT DID NOT!

I also clearly stated that when both Firewalls were Enabled and both Firewalls allowed the two required files the product still refused to Update.
    The only way the product would update was by allowing the copy of the updater that the product placed in the TEMP Folder of the Administrative Account to have
    Internet access through the Firewall. The Firewall Rule for the programs Updater in the TEMP Folder contradicts Tech Supports Recommendations.
    It also contradicts the Firewalls Rules for the two files in the SuperAntiSpyware directory. Both Firewalls prompted to allow Internet access for the two files located
    in the SuperAntiSpyware directory and I ALLOWED ACCESS. The program still complained that there were no Firewall Rules. The one and only way that the program would
    update was by allowing the copy of the Updater in the TEMP Folder to have access to the Internet. If you search the SuperAntiSpyware Forums you will find these complaints.

Now it is obvious that you are an Fan Boy of SuperAntiSpyware and no matter what I Post you are going to twist things to your satisfaction.
    If you are happy and satisfied with the product good for you, use it and be happy. End of conversation.

HKEY1952

4. firzen771

im far from a fanboy, search all posts by me and see how many times i appraise SAS, ull find that i never do, this is one of the few times i even talk about it, a fanboy is someone who praises a product endlessly and continuously, which i dont.

can u at least just provide some links to these complaints that appear to be so common according to u, cuz atm all im seeing is software incompatibility issues on ur side and that seems to make sense with the whole firewall issue, i always run on admin so idk about the updating file, and if u actually look around their are many Anti malware tools that require admin privleges to update (hence why ther wuld be the file in the ADMIN temp folder)

the firewall dilema u have is the only one that i dont really understand and it just seems like an incompatibility to me of some sort.

5. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

Guy's! Just to remember you that my threads was about Counterspy not Superantispyware :doubt:

If you want to talk about problem related to Superantispyware maybe you could start another topics :rolleyes:

Thanks,
    Atomas31

6. firzen771

ur question wasnt directly about SAS, but u did include it in ur question when u asked how counterspy compared to SAS and MBAM.

7. HKEY1952

That's better.....

I have been searching their Forums for those Posts for the last two days frizen771, but they are nowhere to be found. Which is against me now.
    In fact most of the Posts that used to be there are gone. Appears as though the SuperAntiSpy Service Moderator steps right in now and asks the Original Poster
    to submit an Support Ticket resulting in no visible answer for the Users of the Forum. All the Posts only contain two or three Posts with no visible solutions to the problems.
    There again, its as though SuperAntiSpyware is keeping the Problems and more so the solutions an secret. Which makes me wonder, are the solutions specialized for each client?

I am an Die Hard Administrative Account User like you frizen771, so no, all of this took place in an Administrative Account.
    To give you an glimpse of my knowledge with computers, I have over thirty years experience in three branches of computer science. I am not the best, I am not the smartest,
    and I most certainly do not know it all. I do not trust this program, I can not give anymore proof other than my Postings here, and that is not solid proof because it is
    only my word and opinion without tangible proof. I scrutinized this program for about six months and I have never observed an program act like this.

I do not know what more I can say or do other than maybe keep my mouth shut at this point. However, there is awareness now, so be careful.

HKEY1952

8. HKEY1952

Sorry Atomas31, you are correct, it will not happen again.

Personally I would use Sunbelts CounterSpy or Vipre. Sunbelt is an reputable company, their support is great, and both products perform as advertised.
    Also consider Microsoft Security Essentials, the Free Retail Version will be as stellar as the current Beta.

HKEY1952

9. firzen771

ye in todays day and age, their is no need for realtime AS apps, AV's do it just well and have some AS ondemand, if u like Counterspy, use Vipre, since counterspy is built into it.

10. HKEY1952

Vipre runs smoother also, the only negative is the logging, but it is really not an negative, I just prefer more detailed Logs, however,
    the Logging of Vipre is sufficient to know what is going on within Vipre and the System.

HKEY1952

11. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I'm surprised that you haven't received any responses to this post from SUPERAntiSpy.

12. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

I really am trying to stay out of nonsense posts as all it does is consume precious time that could be spent fighting spyware. The user in question here here has no clue as to what they are talking about. Go ahead and fully analyze SUPERAntiSpyware's access to firewalls, registry or the file system and you will see there is NOTHING shady, nor non-stand at all.

With over 20 million users, there are going to be problems that can't be solved and only happen on certain systems, or certain configurations - it's just the plain reality of software - any company or person that claims that a product NEVER has an resolvable problem is basically lying or completely unaware of the reality of the software and hardware landscape and industry.

People that have no technical knowledge, yet spew what they consider facts with NO DATA TO BACK IT UP provide no service to anyone. The user wants to provide "facts" and then run and hide without substantiating the claims.

If the user wants to come here with actual data and would like an explanation of something, I am MORE than happy to address it point by point from both a technical and non-technical level.

13. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

You are posting an opinion without a shred of evidence of anything - if you had "30 years of computer experience" you certainly would understand that problems can happen - we have over 20 million users - there are bound to be a few problems - if you have every developed software, which I suspect you haven't, you would understand. We work with all users to help resolve problems, there are some that simply can't be resolved. It happens with EVERY piece of software and ALWAYS will.

Are solutions customized per client? Yes, often times they are - because with the millions of different hardware and software configurations out there, a "generic" solution does not always work - so we want customers to be helped directly and get a solution to their problem immediately.

What you have uncovered is that we care about our customers and users enough to help them invidually, even for free users. Yes, you caught us, we help people directly!

If there are generic solutions they get posted here:
    http://www.superantispyware.com/support.html

Or often times on our forums. So, again, we are caught, we help our users and try to provide timely solutions!

I hope you can "catch us" at some more stuff that helps our users and benefits the industry! LOL.

14. Glamis77

Glamis77 Registered Member

SUPERAntiSpy:

Everyone realizes problems happen, and I think many realize HKEY1952 may have had unrecognized firewall issues.

However, this question raises concern:

"There are too many recompilations of the executable which leads me to believe the program is designed to Poke around the Operating System looking for vulnerabilities."

You did not address this point. Many wonder if products like yours should be trusted.

We realize there is a lot at stake, as you are in the business to make money. Nothing wrong with that. But the aggressive and irreverent tone you adopted with HKEY1952 is troubling, especially given that there are millions of SuperAntiSpyware users who trust in the product -- which, one would assume, amounts to millions in revenue for the corporation.

15. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

nothing wrong with SuperAntiSpyware it is legit 100% trustable;)

16. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

Thanks for the follow-up 3 months later. As for my "tone" when someone posts things that are not facts, and could harm our company image I will certainly defend it. HKEY1952 doesn't have a clue about what they are talking about with regards to "poking around the system". SUPERAntiSpyware does not "poke around the system looking for holes".

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  17. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

it fixes the problems;)

18. Glamis77

Glamis77 Registered Member

Aggression is typically a sign of insecurity or having something to hide. One becomes aggressive in an effort to divert focus from the issue at hand. It's basic human psychology.

You've adopted the same tone with me. It doesn't matter whether my reply is three hours or three decades after the fact. You appear to want my delay to be the focus. When I first read HKEY's post, I was excited at the prospect of having the question answered: is your product trustworthy?

You're selling a product to the public. The burden is on you to counter accusations. The purpose of your existence is to serve customers.

I run a business, and if a customer questioned my product, I would never attack him and I would fire any employee who did. I would post data conclusively proving the accusation to be false.

The antispyware industry is a highly competitive field. There are dozens of antispyware products on the market with performance ratings equal to or greater than yours. Consumers have a plethora of choices and what is frequently a hot item one day becomes yesterday's news in the blink of an eye. Perhaps you should follow this little PR tip, lest it turn into a harsh economic lesson.

19. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Look,

Let's stay on topic and leave the pop psychology tangent by the wayside.

Blue

20. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

There is no aggression, I am simply stating the facts regarding our product. If you follow my posts and our product, you will see there is no insecurity on my, or my company's behalf.

The misconception of consumers is they can abuse and treat a company any way they please - that's actually not acceptable - I treat people with respect and courtesy and I expect the same from our customers.

I would gladly give someone back their money who treats us with disrespect rather than keep their money and take their abuse.

21. HKEY1952

Well, well, well.....you are out of your playpen again SuperAntiSpy.
    Why don't you do all of us Professionals here at Wilders and other members here an favor and go back to your office and fight Malware, Trojans, Spyware, and such.
    Better still, I strongly suggest and highly recommend that you bypass your office and proceed directly to the restroom and look in the mirror, you need to resolve that issue first.
    True professionals do not argue their point excessively, true professionals know when they are right.

As an example of Professionalism:

Sunbelt Software CounterSpy is Microsoft Windows 7 and Microsoft Windows 64-bit versions compatible, SuperAntiSpyware IS NOT:

Sunbelt Software CounterSpy Operating Systems Supported:
    http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/Home-Home-Office/Anti-Spyware/

SuperAntiSpyware Operating Systems Supported:
    http://www.superantispyware.com/supportfaqdisplay.html?faq=6

Sunbelt Software VIPRE is Microsoft Windows 7, Microsoft Windows 7 XP Mode, and Microsoft Windows 64-bit versions compatible, SuperAntiSpyware IS NOT:

Sunbelt Software VIPRE Operating Systems Supported:
    http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/Home-Home-Office/VIPRE/

SuperAntiSpyware Operating Systems Supported:
    http://www.superantispyware.com/supportfaqdisplay.html?faq=6

From the links provided above directly from both venders Web Sites it is quite obvious which Developer and Development Team DOES NOT exist the ability to program within the Microsoft Windows Architecture.
    Microsoft Windows 7 premiers October 22, 2009.....Microsoft has released Microsoft Windows 7 to DEVELOPERS long before the premier date in order for them to upgrade their software code for compatibility.
    The True Professionals are up and running on Microsoft Windows 7.

HKEY1952

22. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

Again, you have your facts wrong, from the FAQ on our site:

"What operating systems is SUPERAntiSpyware.com software compatible with?

SUPERAntiSpyware.com software is compatible with 2000, XP Home/Professional, 2003, Server 2008, Vista and Windows 2007.

SUPERAntiSpyware will work in 32-bit mode under 64-bit versions of Windows. We will have native 64-bit drivers later this year.

We offer an older version 4.24 that works with Windows 98, 98SE, and ME.

Our software is not compatible with the Mac OS at this time
    "

As for "arguing my point excessively" - I am simply clearing up your blatant misinformation and lack of understanding of our product.

As far as "ability to program within the Windows Architecture" - we have been developing Windows software since Windows 1.0. SUPERAntiSpyware contains technological advantages for fighting malware that were industry firsts.

From your posts, it's clear you have no idea what a "true professional" is - and that's ok - I hope you have a great day, and thanks for posting, it's always nice to be able to clear the air when misinformation is posted!

23. HKEY1952

cough cough.....cough cough cough.....

cough cough cough

Excuse me.....cough.....VIPRE just updated, I need to go and read the News.....cough

Oh, by the way, rumor has it that the mirror in the restroom shattered.....is that true? or is that just another HKEY1952 false accusation?

HKEY1952

24. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

VIPRE is a great product, Alex has done an excellent job with the company.

In today's security world, a single solution is not enough, and VIPRE and SUPERAntiSpyware are excellent compliments to each other as they both provide different types of protection and technologies to detect and remove spyware.

We always recommend people run more than one solution as no single product can catch everything on a given day.

25. firzen771

ok, but really ur trying to call Superantispy unprofessional, but have u HONESTLY read what u just typed here? this thread is just turning into an immature flame war...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.