CounterSpy 3.1.2250 - Released

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Malcontent, Aug 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Malcontent

Malcontent Registered Member

http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/Home-Home-Office/Anti-Spyware/

Publisher's Description:

Protect your PC by removing spyware and malware with our free 15-day trial of CounterSpy antispyware software. Many other free antispyware trials 'scan & scare' and do not remove spyware. Spyware removal is included in the CounterSpy trial version, CNET's Number One Antispyware Software!

CounterSpy is a powerful spyware and malware remover but treads lightly on system resources. Now, you don't have to choose between PC security and PC performance. With CounterSpy you get:

# Advanced Anti-Malware technology
    # Kernel-level 24/7 Active Protection
    # Boot Time Scans kill rootkits
    # Small memory footprint
    # Runs great on Windows Vista and XP!

2. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

Is the codebase the same as the one in v2? The last time I tried v2 it was (a bit) heavy on the CPU and the memory.

3. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

4. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Anyone giving this a try ?

I've tried to update Counterspy, let's say the definition files updates have been scarce lately.

Also, I have not seen a public beta test (why!), I'm not sure if there has been a decent beta test anyway. No beta test= problems.

When I tried to update today I did not get a definitions file to update, nor was I offered the new version.

Does anyone know what's really different about this new version ?

5. ambient_88

According to the screenshot posted by Chubb (thanks btw), I would say CounterSpy v3 uses the same codebase/engine as VIPRE (without the AV). Since VIPRE received extensive beta testing, CounterSpy would not need one.

6. spm

spm Registered Member

Yep, tried this on three domain-attached client workstations (two XP SP3 - a laptop and a desktop, one Vista SP1 laptop). In each case...

1. The CS installer remained at about 2/3rd complete, even after CS itself had started. Only recourse was to cancel the install. After cancellation, it reported that it had completed successfully.

2. Computer became horribly unresponsive. Once I finally managed to get into Task Manager (Process Explorer, actually), CPU usage and disk activity were normal, but it would take a minimum 5 minutes to run a program. Attempts to, say, view processes in CS, or use any other of its tools would cause interminable waits.

3. Was forced to reboot. Same issues - could not get past "Loading computer settings..." in Windows startup sequence.

On one machine I reverted to an FD-ISR backup snapshot made just before installation, on one other a full restore from image backup was needed. These actions did, of course, return the machines to their previously working state. Third machine was a throw-away test setup anyway, so no big deal.

My advice: approach this product with great care right now, and make sure you have a way to back out an install.

7. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

The first counter spy version I tested that works with ease.
    But why it flags oldtimer tool winpfind as backdoor exploiter? Known malware? This tool does nothing else then scanning inside files for defined strings.

8. Fly

Fly Registered Member

VIPRE = NOT Counterspy.

Supposedly, technically Counterspy is a subset of VIPRE.

That does not mean it doesn't require beta testing !

It's a different product, and there can always be unforeseen things that can go wrong. One thing being, most people would run it along with an antivirus and what would be included with that antivirus !

I recently experienced that with a 5.8 version of Webroot's Spy Sweeper, they didn't think a beta was needed either. :mad:

9. Fly

Fly Registered Member

A case that proves the importance of beta testing !

Unlike you or me, most people don't have imaging software/hardware.

10. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

Well, they definitly should have beta test it because since I install it, I can not do a Quick Scano_O From what I understant the services always stop not long after starting scanning files (around 3 minutes 10 secondes after the beginning of the Quick scan) and even if I manually restart it, the scanner won't continue and I have to cancel... :thumbd:

Also, is there a way to place the service on Manual instead of automatic and make it stay at manual even if we start Counterspy:mad: :mad: :mad: I only use counterspy to scan my computer on demand and I don't want is service to always put back his self to "automatic" when starting it:thumbd:

11. 3xist

3xist Guest

Control Panel>Admin Tools> Services ?

12. Atomas31

Thanks' 3xist but I know where and how to manually restart the service... The problem appears that when doing a scan at some point the service stop by himself and even If I manually restart it, the scan won't continue. So for me, with this version, it is impossible to scan my computer :mad: And to think that they didn't believe that it should have been beta test, when a major problem like that exist, simply pissed me off :thumbd:

13. Fly

Fly Registered Member

It seems like they did 'a Webroot' !

14. Atomas31

One thing I don't understand is that generally some people from sunbelt are here (Alex, Eric, etc). Now, they release a new version of Counterspy and they don't even monitor forums to see if customer have problems with there new Counterspy o_O

Oups! I forget, it was for sure without any bugs that's why they didn't need to beta test it :blink:

15. ambient_88

I did not experience the first two problems you mentioned in your post.

1) During the installation, the installer seemed like it hung up; however, CounterSpy's GUI will pop up asking you to configure it. Once you are done, close the GUI and the installer will finish the installation.

2) My computer is not unresponsive at all. In fact, I am running a system scan right now, and everything is working fine. No slowdown whatsoever.

3) I have not restarted my computer yet, so I'm not sure about this one.

I would say the stability issues you are experiencing are due to the fact that you canceled the installation before it had the chance to finish.

Something is definitely off with your computer. I just finished running a quick scan, and it completed. I am now running a deep scan with no problems whatsoever.

This version has been running really smooth on my computer. Very light on system resources. No surprise with that since it uses the same codebase as VIPRE. Updating definitions is much faster (1-2 mins. to download full definitions).

16. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Partial quote above.

It's a bit cheap to blame his 'computer'. Software can run fine one one computer, and without apparent reason perform unacceptably on another computer.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  17. ambient_88

Okay, blaming his computer alone was bad; CounterSpy might also have some bugs that is affecting his computer.

18. SIR****TMG

SIR****TMG Registered Member

Working just fine for me

19. jayt

jayt Registered Member

I have been using CS v2 for sometime with minimal problems. Last night I checked the CS website and found that v 3 was available. The instructions said to install it over the previous version --it would uninstall previous version. I tried to install it. Got to the point of configuring it. It locked up my computer--solidly. I couldn't get it to do anything. Finally had to do a hard reboot and run system restore in safe mode. This was the only way I could regain control of my computer. Btw, I am running Vista Home Premium 32 bit on an AMD processor. (Dell 530). IMHO v 3 is not ready for prime time. I uninstalled CounterSpy, deleted the downloaded v3 installation file, and purchased a copy of Superantispyware Professional. That's it. I am finished with CounterSpy.

20. Atomas31

Nothing is "off with my computer" :rolleyes: It is working well, never had any problem of this kind with Counterspy 2.5, don't have any problem with any of my other scanner simply with this new version of Counterspy... Since it appears, according to this version, that I have less than 50 days remaining to my subscription that mean they have less than that to rectifie the situation or I won't renew for a software that can not work properly (not able to scan my system) on my system :thumbd:

21. Persian Boy

Persian Boy Registered Member

I have Avira Antivir Free + CounterSpy v3 + LooknStop Firewall installed on my pc.

CounterSpy work very well and I have no problem with scanner. I think counterspy just can't scan a folder with many exe files in few secunds and you have to waite 10-15 secunds to allow you open the exe file(more than 300 MB).

anyway good job to Sunbelt! :thumb:

22. eburger68

eburger68 Privacy Expert

Folks:

I'm certainly sorry to hear that some of you have experienced problems with CounterSpy 3.1. If you have experienced problems, my first suggestion would be to turn off "On Access Protection" -- go to the the Active Protection settings and untick the box for checking files when they are opened or copied.

"On Access Protection" is a new component for CounterSpy and is very aggressive. If you have an AV app installed with that app's real-time protection active, turning off "On Access Protection" will significantly reduce the potential for conflicts between the two apps.

Btw, turning off "On Access Protection" does not disable "Active Protection" entirely -- you still have all the other real-time protections (incl. "On Execute Protection") that have been standard in CounterSpy since version 2.

Best,

Eric L. Howes
    Sunbelt Software

23. alexeck

alexeck Registered Member

Hello all --

Just a couple of points:

- CounterSpy is a subset of VIPRE. It is, in fact, almost exactly the same product, with the exception that the virus detection portions of VIPRE are not available. VIPRE received extensive beta testing in the field. CounterSpy received extensive testing in-house. Our website has comparison charts that show the difference (as well as a video which discusses it).

- Performance problems: CounterSpy shipped with On Access protection enabled by default, which can cause conflicts with other AV programs that are doing the same thing. This is the cause of 99% of the performance issues. In hindsight (i.e. a "duh" moment for many of us), we should have shipped with On Access protected disabled by default, since many people like to run Counterspy alongside their existing AV product. This is now the new default behavior and will be in the next version on Monday. This video explains more: http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/ihs/aptutorial.htm

- Install problems: This is actually the first I've heard or seen of these types of installation problems. We'd certainly like as much information as we can get on this.

As always, we all monitor these forums, so keep it coming -- the good, the bad, the ugly.

Alex Eckelberry
    CEO, Sunbelt Software

24. Atomas31

Hi Eric,

I did what you write but it didn't solve the issue :(

Best regards,
    Atomas31

25. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I think I'm going to wait a while before switching to version 3 ... if ever. o_O

I'll have it beta-tested first. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.