CounterSpy 1.5.77

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by rdsu, Sep 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Hi,

after tried the new version of CounterSpy, I found that they make some nice improvements on the GUI, the scanner is better with more options, some bugs are fixed, but the resources are very bad!

The "sunThreatEngine.exe" use 45MB of RAM and the "SunProtectionServer.exe" use about 25% of CPU every 2 seconds... :(
    When I close the CounterSpy, these files still remain on memory...

These only happen on my system, or also on yours?

Regards

2. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I'm still running the 1.0.29 version. Is 1.5.77 a beta ?

3. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

4. feddup

feddup Registered Member

I opted in to beta test for CS and liked the program in general but the CPU spikes are unacceptable. Also having to go into task manager and kill various sunXXX processes after you exited the program is unacceptable. I like to be able to walk away from the PC and have it hibernate but the CPU spikes kept this from ever happening. Other than the resource issues the program seemed pretty cool. However resources are a rather big issue!

5. Stephanos G.

Stephanos G. Registered Member

Thats why i uninstalled my paid CounterSpy, never again.

6. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

I agree the resource usage has increased rather dramatically. The previous version ran very light and did the job well. And that sunthreatengine running at 45k..good grief. Yet another program that may wind up in the uninstall bin... :eek: o_O :mad:

7. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

The memory and CPU requirements for this new version are insane. Just see the attaced pic. I have email support regarding this issue. Fingers crossed for a positive response.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2005
  8. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

After all the Beta testing this version got I can't believe they would release it with this kinda resource usage. Something must be wrong here. I expect a quick tweak release update fairly soon. These 2 second ram spikes are crazy. I wish I had the previous install package and could revert back til this gets worked out... :mad:

9. n8chavez

PM me if you want the exe

10. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

You are PM'd...thanks a bunch

11. Notok

Notok Registered Member

If you disable protection before closing, this doesn't happen.

The resource usage is very high, though, I was really hoping 1.5 would be slimmer. Overall it creates less syste drag than before, but I still am keeping it around for manual scans only.

12. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

This kind of programming is unaceptable today!

If this continue, I will change my AntiSpyware...

13. n8chavez

I received a message from CounterSpy regarding the memory issue in 1.5. The response is below:

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2005
  14. WilliamP

Last night I downloaded 1.5 over 1.0. No problems. This afternoon when I came home I checked Task Man. mem. usage for sunthreatengine was at 49,000. I ran an Ewido scan and now the sunthreatengine Mem. usage is 3,600. I don't think the scan had anything to do with it .

15. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

when u remove a spyware from counterspy do u still have to restart the computer?

16. muf

muf Registered Member

I read that they had tweaked the new version and is now more compatible with Windows 98SE/ME. I installed it last night on my Windows ME and here's my report.

Version 1.0 could not get scan to complete. Version 1.5 worked fine.
    Version 1.0 Active protection not working. Version 1.5 worked fine.
    Version 1.5 slowed my pc but not horrendous.
    Kernel32.dll caused an error and will close message.
    systray caused an error and will close message.
    Tried restart and got BSOD. Powered down and up and had to reboot into safe mode. Uninstalled Counterspy and system rebooted fine.

Not too promising. But if you lot had problems with it on XP then what hope did i really have using WinME!!!

muf

17. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I'm only using it for on-demand scan... :(

I hate this kind of things...

18. WilliamP

I have since rebooted and SunThreatEngine is back to 49,524 All the Sun Mem.usage comes to 76,012

19. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

I emailed their support folks early today and hope to get some feedback soon. One thing about Sunbelt is that they are usually quick to respond to customer concerns. Enough support requests and they will know something is up... :rolleyes:

20. WilliamP

I have E Mailed them with the amounts of Mem. usage.

21. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Yes, they have a very good support, but since the first beta that I told on their forum that this version use a lot of resources, but they didn't care... :(

22. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Hopefully if enough of their customers express dissatisfaction they will realize that it does matter. I was pretty happy with Counterspy up til this hungry beast release. I really don't want to go on another software shopping trip. I may have to go back to the Adaware & Spybot regime with Spywareblaster lurking in the background. Hoping for the best here... :rolleyes: :D :eek:

23. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I use the Outpost Pro that now also have AntiSpyware protection, so I will only use CounterSpy for on-demand since they started to be a resource hog...

24. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

I'm doing the same thing until they fix this problem. I am not sure I will renew my subscription either. :mad:

This is ridiculous...

25. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Looks like ALL anti-spyware programs running in real-time are memory hogs these days.

For example, Spyware Doctor is using a comparable amount of RAM that CounterSpy is, and while this "WAS" seemingly corrected by PC Tools (lowered memory and CPU usage) a while back, it now appears that the memory usage has gradually crept back in the 45 MB range (currently on my system). At least with Spyware Doctor they have corrected the CPU spikes where they are unnoticeable and nowhere near as consistently high or frequent as they used to be.

Hopefully both programs will get this corrected, because other than these issues, they are generally two of the better ones available (along with Spy Sweeper) that offer real-time protection......

EDIT: of course, I just now shut down Spyware Doctor and restarted the program since positing this, and now it is at 7 MB RAM........go figure!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.