Couldn't write to internal DVD...but now I can!!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Quakindude, Oct 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quakindude

Quakindude Registered Member

First of all, Hello to all the Acronis users out there! This is my first post here.

Here's my experience with backing up to my internal DVD Drive.

I had no problems writing a backup to my secondary, internal HDD. That took all of 6m14s to complete. Impressive! Especially for an 8Gb backup file.

I had no problems writing a back up to my Lacie Bigger Disk Extreme 1Tb FW800 drive. Total time, 6m 48s. Again, impressive!

Then, I went to make a DVD back up. Oh the horror!!o_O

I tired everything under the sun. Updated every driver that could possibly impact my system when DVD writing. After each attempt to back up to DVD, My Computer re-tagged my DVD drive as a CD-Rom. I would have to reboot to get it back to DVD-RW. I couldn't use Nero to burn a Music DVD while it was like that, but after rebooting, and thinking my DVD drive was borked, I did use Nero and was successful when writing my Music DVD.

So I scanned the Internet for hours, looked through these forums for hours, read all about the different DVD writing problems.

Then I said to heck with it and went to bed.:mad:

This morning, with a clear head, I decided to try something different. I fired up TrueImage and went through all of the steps to create a full backup to DVD. Now here's what I did different from the times before. I didn't put a DVD in the drive. As soon as I clicked on Proceed, I got a 30 second pause. Then, an information box popped up asking for me to put a DVD in the drive and the drive door opened. So I placed a DVD in the drive, closed the door and Bam!

It's backing up as I type this message!:D It has just asked for the 2nd DVD and told me to mark the first as Volume 1.

So that's my story. I'll post back here if, for some reason, the back ups don't work.

2. Quakindude

The total time to DVD backup was 26m 32s.

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Quakindude,

For completeness, could you please confirm which Build Number of TI you are using (in TI, click Help > About). The latest Build of TI 9.0 Home is 3677 that, in case you're not aware, still has a couple of direct to DVD imaging problems as detailed in this <previous thread>.

It's a Windows XP "feature" that Windows Explorer changes your displayed DVD-RW drive to a CD-RW drive as soon as you insert a blank DVD R or RW disk. However, this doesn't prevent TI from imaging to DVD and Windows Explorer should have reverted to displaying a DVD-RW as soon as the disk was removed. Unfortunately I can't explain why you needed to reboot your system in order to subsequently carry out normal DVD recording operations.

Inserting a disk and leaving the recorder's drawer open before clicking proceed is a well known possible workaround for when TI fails to correctly take command of your CD/DVD drive.

Regards

4. RIGHT ANGLE

RIGHT ANGLE Registered Member

Thanks for the post.
    I am new at ATI also and have yet to do a back-up to dvd.
    Yolur post may have saved me a lot of time andconcern.
    Thank for shareing
    :thumb:

5. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

QuakinDude, the real test is when you attempt a Restore from those DVD images. Would you be able to do that and let us know? That "workaround" about letting the drive tray pop open has been documented here - from reading through previous posts.

And as you found backing up to DVD is slow. I'll stick to my external hard drives as the backup destination. ;)

6. corinthian

corinthian Registered Member

Yes, that will be the real test: the restore! ;) Good luck, and let us know!
    Bill

7. Quakindude

Sorry it took so long to get back here. The Army has had me a little busy the past few days.

I do indeed have the 3677 build. I have a bad/good habit of immediately looking for software updates as soon as I install anything and before I run it.:D

I have been successful at restoring my drive from both hard drive locations, but haven't tried the boot CD nor the DVD's yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.