Could someone please diagnose these symptoms?

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by IManovice, Dec 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IManovice

IManovice Registered Member

Hello,

1. I downloaded accountonline:
    computer has been taken over ever since this.

2. whatever it is has tried to download my pictures, opens up my verizon email to write email to whatever site I happen to be in, it calls up my AVG antivirus to check out something it must be looking at to check it, takes over my cursor for 15-30 seconds while it accesses my pull down menus in my desktop like it is snooping my files, always goes to my start menu and the place to choose turn off computer or switch users.

3. Newest things on my computer is Verizon Online DSL with MSN, Mozilla Foxfire, TsunamiGOLD console and AccountOnline. I didn't understand how to use AccountOnline and immediately wanted to uninstall it but there were instructions of things to do before uninstall and I didn't know how to do all of that. It wasn't in my add/remove but was in my Set program access and defaults so I tried to remove it there. Still appears in Search.

4. I was lucky to be able to get here to tell you about this as it freezes my cursor as soon as I get online.

5. A hard lesson to learn about downloading but I downloaded AccountOnline from Bravenet, a site I have trusted for more than 2 years now.

Could you please tell me what you feel these symptoms are? Hijacker? Virus? Spyware? My homepages have not been tampered with. I have AVG personal Antivirus, Sygate personal firewall, SpywareBlaster, Spyware Guard, MRU, Spybot Search and Destroy, AdAwareSE, and none of these have alerted me to anything being wrong. Everything is also updated including the Windows. I also just password protected myself as system administrator for my computer (Windows XP sp2) and have given Mozilla a Master Password for my passwords. I am the only one that uses this computer and have no additional computer so no router. My DSL equipment I have to plug into is Westell VersaLink model 327W.

I hope I gave you enough information to help me sort out this mess I got myself into. The download of AccountOnline is what I suspect the most as that was the last download I did before this all happened. That was about Wednesday.

Thank you for any help you can give me or any information of where I should go for help.

Judy

I want to get software that will hide my keystrokes. <--- example...that sentence was written in the body of my message and now, strangely it has been moved here. I will now enter this and see what else changes. Hopefully, nothing. I will post if anything else is different.

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi IManovice, can you try following the comprehensive steps found in General Cleaning.

If these steps do not resolve your situation, you will need to download and run “Hijack This” found here and post your log at one of the forums found at A-SAP. The two bigger forums for HijackThis log processing, (meaning they process more log threads each day than most others) are: SpywareInfo.com and CastleCops.com. Be sure to read their posting policy in the links at their log review forum sections prior to posting.

When you system is clean, you may want to take a look here for further discussion on security and how to make your system that much stronger and here for more.

Hope this helps...

Let us know how you go.

Cheers :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.