Could Comodo Time Machine handle this scenario? other software?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by shinysecure, Dec 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shinysecure

shinysecure Registered Member

Here is what I would like to be able to do.

-Always revert back to a fresh install of my system except for one folder that I could keep files in that would always be accessible.

-Start a "new image" and install a program and use it for more then 1 session(many)
    -Start another image and install programs on it.

-Bounce between these images somewhat easily

Would Comodo Time Machine be able to do this? any other recommendations?

Was thinking Returnil but it doesn't seem like I can save sessions with that.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  2. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

Comodo time machine could do it, but it is still in beta. Other software would be rollbackrx (check the first defense ISR section in this forum, it deals with this type of snapshot software). One drawback of these software is that you can't defrag the hard drive.
    I use the free virtualbox to quickly load an OS and test software, you can have multiple OS each with different programs and bounce between fairly quickly. This is as simple as it gets without affecting your main OS.

Your correct "returnil" won't save any sessions, when you reboot everything that occured while "returnil" is enabled will be deleted.

3. shinysecure

my issue with virtualbox is that some of my system resources would be used maintaining the host(?) OS and wouldn't be available in the virtual one.

What about at least for now a more basic program so I can create an image of my fully updated windows to a dvd to make reformatting much quicker and i can test some of these things myself.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  4. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

This'll do the job for you:

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp

One thing to be aware of is to make sure to create a full disk image if you intend trialling the likes of RollbackRX otherwise you can run into problems.

5. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

This is possible:

snaptree.jpg

6. shinysecure

thanks for the responses,

looks like it fits the bill.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.