Corrupted TrueCrypt File

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by aacs90, May 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aacs90

aacs90 Registered Member

Hi there, i recently came into a problem with my encrypted file and i need help. It looks like there are proffesionals in this forum that c ould be able to help me.

So i created a file in which i had a 10gb hidden volume where i'd store very important information from work and school. During the whole time i was using TC i never came into any troubles of any sort.

But just recently i decided to clean my computer and i backed up pretty much everything i needed and deleted what i didnt need anymore, but neglected to backup the TC file and instead i ended up deleting the file. I realized what i had done almost instantly so i downloaded RECUVA and i was able to recover the TC file. I thought it was all good afterwards but when i tried to mount the file with TC after recovering it with RECUVA now TC tells me: Incorrect password or not a TrueCrypt Volume.

Researching a bit in google i found out its common for the header of the file to get corrupted, but all the tutorials i found require me to mount the volume prior to fixing it. I am not able to mount the volume (file) at all but i am 100% my password is correct.

I do not have a backup of the file nor the volume header.

All i have is the 10gb file i was able to recover thru RECUVA. It has the same weight as it originally had.

I read about using WINHEX to fix the header of the file, but i am not sure how to go with it.

I would deeply appreciate any help i could get.

Thankx in advance

PD: i know there are a couple more posts about recovering or fixing a corrupt file in this forum, but i didnt get any of them to work for me.

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  2. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

Recuva isn't good at recovering a fragmented file. Especially a large one over 2GB. And that's what I fear has happened. You may have a file with the right filesize, but the contents could be mixed with other files.

3. aacs90

aacs90 Registered Member

So what do you suggest i should do? What software do you recommend? I dont want to use the partition i cleaned up yet in case i need to recover the file from it again. I read about using WinHex to fix the volume header, but i dont think it's possible if i'm unable to mount such volume.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.