Corrupted saved Images

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by arkman47, Aug 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arkman47

arkman47 Registered Member

Hello! I am newly registered and have been using Acronis 7 & 8 for a while now. I have a number of WinXp Sp2 boxes and found Acronis to be very helpful in creating images of those systems, in case I have to do reloads. My latest attempt at creating an image of my daughters Dell laptop showed the image to be corrupted. I used the boot cd to get into the application and went on to create the image. (The application was not installed on Windows)
    I have done it this way as long as I can remember and have had good results restoring those images.

Question: Is the cause of the corrupted image due to the fact that I should have made the images from the XP desktop, instead of imaging from the boot cd?

I have also noticed that a few of the other stored images show"corrupt" when I test them. I'm at a loss & would appreciate any help that's offered.
    :rolleyes: arkman47

2. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

First thing to check is the memory in the PC as faulty memory causes many of the corruption problems. Run MEMTEST or any other memory testing software and see if there is a problem before you look elsewhere.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello arkman47,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

I would agree with pjb024.

The first thing to do in such cases is to check the computer's RAM.

Please also note that sometimes the problem might be caused by the faulty hard drives or hard drive cables.

Could you please tell me where do you store your images?

Please also let me know the size of your images.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

4. ray08

ray08 Registered Member

Are ALL the image files available in the same directory, cause if you move any of them, it will always say the image is corrupted.

5. konk

konk Registered Member

Hi
    I bought this program two days ago and have not been able
    to create a working image file at all ( from one internal drive to another internal drive). Tried different things, but the resault was always the same "Image is corrupted". Since I have been using other software for this
    before without any problem I thought this was very strange and annoying.
    I cloned the disk without any problem, just to make sure that I had all the data. The solution after 2 days : For me it was to change the ram settings in
    Bios. What do you know............the Image file was NOT corrupt anymore.
    Don't know if this will help in you're case.but maybye somebody else find this
    interesting.

6. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

Hi konk

Thanks for sharing that with us. TI is quite memory intensive and it will often seem that there are corrupt images when there is no corruption. This happens either when memory is faulty or when it is set in BIOS to an incorrect or aggressive setting such as is used by overclockers. I am pleased that you found the solution was simply a BIOS setting for your RAM and I'm sure you will not have any problems of corrupt images.

Good luck

7. konk

konk Registered Member

Hi again
    My time in the happy land was very short, tried to make a new image file
    whith a little more data in it( total 82Gb ) This was not a sucess...Used the same hardware and did not touched anything from the laast good image. So I tried to make the image file from the outer space ( "Acronis Dos" )whith the boot cd, checked the image file afterwards and then it was OK. So what is the real problem here ? Beats me.

Best to you all

8. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello konk,

It still sounds like it could be "iffy" memory. If you haven't already done so, I recommend that you download either the floppy or CD ISO version of <MemTest 86+> and run it for a few hours. If your memory/memory timings are o.k. then there should be zero errors reported.

Regards

9. Hose

Hose Registered Member

I've apparently got the "common" problem... When I try to restore, I get the message, "This is not the last created volume of the image archive. Please insert the last created volume..." Well, it IS the last one... it's the only one.

Then, when I click "next", I get the message, "[filename] is corrupted".

I saw the above about running memtest, but this PC has no floppy, and the Nero burning software won't make an ISO boot CD for me.

I've only had the machine for 3 weeks... not overclocked... in fact, there are no RAM timing adjustements allowed by BIOS.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

Follow-up..... I made an ISO boot disk in another machine and am now running memtest.... I'll report back later... thanks

Next day follow up....
    (1) Memory test for 6 hours... zero errors
    (2) I noticed the CD-RW had a 40 wire cable, so changed it to a new 80 wire
    (3) Made image from a different and newer hard drive.

Same result.... "[filename] corrupted" message.

I'm trying to make the image off of a new eMachines with Celeron 340, Intel 865GV chipset, Lite-On CD-RW/DVD..... any of these the culprit??

Any suggestions before I make another pile of coasters??

Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2005
  10. konk

konk Registered Member

Hi again
    I will try the memtest later this evening and report back if the program
    found anything "wrong" whith the ram.

Bye for now

11. Acronis Support

Hello Hose,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

First of all, please make sure that you use the latest build (903) of Acronis True Image 8.0 which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

If the problem still persists after installing the update then please provide me with the more information on the problem.

Provide more information on your environment. What operating system you use? How many hard drives do you have? What is the partition layout?

Let me know if you are creating an image of a single partition (what partition) or the image of the entire hard drive?

Tell me where do you store your images.

Please try to create images both from under Windows and when booted from the special Bottable Rescue CD and then verify them by means of Check Image tool. Inform me about the results.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

12. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

hi konk and Hose

konk I agree with Menorcaman that you need to run Memtest for a few hours to be sure that RAM is ok. Let us know the result.

Hose How many CD's did it take to make one image? If it spanned more than one CD then you have to put the last CD in first when you restore or verify and image.

13. Hose

Hose Registered Member

Thanks for the response Alexey,
    1. Using build 903
    2. OS is WinXP Home. One HD with one partition. Image of that one partition, which is also the entire hard drive.
    3. Where do I store images? Not sure what is meant by "where". I'm using CD-R media.

4. I created image both with boot disk and from Windows. In both cases, the Check Image tool identifies the file and does not indicate any problem.

................ Took a break from the above and tried to restore one more time.... Surprisingly worked OK.

Sorry for the bother, and Thanks for the attention, guys :>)

14. Hose

Hose Registered Member

Is there a better, more reliable way to make an image of the entire HD? Either from the boot disk or from Windows?

15. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Hi Ray,

This just isn't correct. I move images all the time from internal IDE drives to DVDs or to external USB drives or between external USB drives, and all the images always verify correctly.

If you are seeing corruption, you have a hardware problem that is corrupting the images when they are moved. The first thing to test is RAM.

16. konk

konk Registered Member

Hi there
    I ran the memtest program and the resault of the test was not in favour for me. I have 512+512+1024, so now I must find out whitch one of them to replace. Hopefully it's just one whith a faulty memory module. I also tried the program on my Dell XPS II, it worked flawless.

Best regards to you all
    Konk

17. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

hi konk, at least you know the problem is memory and so a solution is in sight. Best thing is to test the modules separately and hopefully one of them will show a fault and you are home and dry. If they seem to be ok when tested separately then I would ask you if the modules are 'same brand' as sometimes there can be an incompatibility between RAM of different manufacturers even though they say they have the same spec. Even a small timing difference can cause a glitch.

18. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

hi hose, it doesn't matter whether you make images from Windows or from the Recovery CD. You may find that larger images image faster in Windows though as the drivers are optimised for your hardware. The Recovery CD uses general drivers that work for a wide range of hardware and is not optimised for any particular hardware.

19. Hose

Hose Registered Member

A general comment.....

I recently purchased ATI and did some Image Creation and Image Restore. And while I find the software to work as advertised, I'm annoyed enough to speak out.

During the "Image Restore from CD" process, the dialog boxes are not only extremely lame, several are actually misleading. Looks like some half-wit 6th grader did them 10 years ago and no adult ever bothered to review.

All of the "Error", and "File not found", and "Possible bad medium".... I was getting this crap and thought my stuff was fouled when it was actually working properly.

I believe this is the absolute WORST I have ever seen in industry leading software.

Somebody really should rework this.

Hose

Last edited: Aug 17, 2005
  20. Acronis Support

Hello Hose,

We are really sorry for any inconvenience caused by the behavior of Acronis software.

What concerns the dialog boxes you mentioned, please describe the issue in more words. What exactly was so "lame" and "misleading" about them?

As for the error messages you have received, could you please provide me with the more detailed information on the problem?

What exact error messages have you received? When exactly you receive these messages?

Please describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

We will do our best in order to resolve any problems as soon as possible.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

21. Hose

Hose Registered Member

Alexy,
    Your kidding, right? You really don't see how poorly worded those pages are? To do this correctly, I'll need to install a different HD and restore an image on it + comment on each page. That should take about an hour, and I'd debating whether I should spend that kind of time on it..... especially since that should be someone's job at Acronis.

Hose

22. Thomas Ploch

Thomas Ploch Guest

I have run memtest for 12 hours with no errors.
    I am using Build 903.
    I am imaging a 30 Gig Hard Drive onto a Western Digital 120 Gig, USB2 Drive
    I am using XP Home with all updates on a Dell

I still get Image Corrupt once I do a Image Check.

Any suggestions?

23. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Thomas,

As the RAM checked out o.k. it's more than likely an incompatability issue between your motherboard's USB subsystem and the external hard drive enclosure's chipset.

Here are a couple of links to previous threads that you might find interesting:

Who DOES NOT have a problem with corrupt images...
    External USB/Firewire drives that work

Regards

24. Acronis Support

Hello Hose,

I am very sorry that you are displeased with the work of Acronis software.

However, could you please clarify what exact pages and comments do you mean?

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.