Corrupted image file question

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by timmy2, Mar 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timmy2

timmy2 Registered Member

I made 4 images of a 3-yr-old Dell system several weeks ago, all using a bootable v8 bld 937 CD and written to an external USB drive.

Tonight I've discovered that the same bootable CD says all 4 are corrupted images. I downloaded the latest build of v9 and checked the 4 files. All generate a corrupted file error. The log entries are the same for each even though the error appears at vastly different times in the checking process.

I checked another image, made on a different PC to the same USB drive, and it checks out fine. So... I guess the problem was between the old Dell and the USB drive.

Is there a "relaxed" recovery mode where ATI will accept 1 or 2 errors rather than just abort and leave the user stranded? :oops:

While I love the fact that ATI will seemingly work with far more USB and other types of drives than Ghost, it's disconcerting to discover that "working" and "yielding a useable image" are two different things, and the latter is totally unpredictable.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello timmy2,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

I'm afraid that Acronis True Image does not allow to restore corrupt image.

Could you please copy your images from the external hard drive to the other location (e.g internal hard drive) and try to restore an image from the bootable rescue media?

Please also try to verify your image integrity within Windows.

Please let us know the results.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

3. timmy2

timmy2 Registered Member

ATI v8 and v9 both report that all of the image files made on one particular PC are corrupt. I have copied them to a second partition on that PC and tried to restore them but it aborts during the restore process with a corruption notice. I have run your image-check utility on these files from within Windows and each image file is reported to have corruption at some point during the image-check process.

NOTE: I can mount one of the images on another system (I haven't tried mounting the others), without error. Does this tell you anything? Isn't it odd that the image can be mounted and accessed that way, yet cannot be restored?

Is there a way that I can convert the mounted image into another image that can be restored the normal way using ATI?

4. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

“NOTE: I can mount one of the images on another system (I haven't tried mounting the others), without error. Does this tell you anything? Isn't it odd that the image can be mounted and accessed that way, yet cannot be restored?”

What you’re seeing is probably some sort of table of contents, which happens to be readable from within the image. It’s only when you get to the actual data that the error occurs. If you were to try and open each file in your mounted image, eventually you would hit the bad spot.

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello timmy2,

- Download eXpress CheckSum Calculator and install it. Run the Checksum Calculator, browse to any one of the .tib files on the external USB HD then click "Start" to create a MD5 checksum and note it.
    - Copy the same .tib file back to your internal HD and run the Calculator on the copied file to create another MD5 checksum.
    - Compare the two MD5 checksums and see whether they are the same. If they differ then the Dell has probably developed a hardware problem that requires further investigation.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.