Corrupted file after validation

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by spotty, Mar 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spotty

spotty Registered Member

Hello:

Been running true image home on an XP system with 2 gig of ram for over a year. Prepared a recovery Cd just in case. Also have the original box cd.

Anyway--I FINALLY decided to test it after a year. I guess I fully trusted the software since a previous version I was running saved my rear when windows would not boot.

Lucky for me I tried the testing yesterday.

I used the prepared CD to try to restore my image which I always validate. When I attempted to select it I got the messafge that it was corrupted and to choose another. I redid the image prep and tried again with both the prepared CD and the box cd---same thing on the new images I created--I created 3.

Why?--anyone else have this problem----looks like this software cannot be trusted---I will try to find a substitute.

thx all

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

What version and build of TI are you using?

Did you try to make a backup image while booted from the new rescue CD?

If you install a new build, you should make a new Rescue CD since it often changes along with the Windows version.

Problems with backup, restore or validation when in the Linux environment of the Rescue CD usually are the result of poor driver support for your hardware in Linux. New hardware often requires new versions of TI for support. Old hardware doesn't require updates unless there are new features which you need.

As you have discovered, it's essential to test the restore process at least as far as validating backups from the Rescue CD. Unfortunately, the TI literature doesn't stress this fact.

3. spotty

spotty Registered Member

John:

thx for the reply--I uninstalled so I don't have the version at hand--but--I did download an update one time and also redid the cd.

I understand what you are saying--and--it is really my fault for not testing this program sooner; however, I am really dissatisfied in that it allows one to validate and still says the file is corrupt. So--how does one ever really know until push comes to shove. Are we to test every image? that is what validation is for---supposedly!

And---this is a windows program--it is about time they used a windows friendly cd---not linux. That linux boot cd does not show hardware config correctly--so--you have to guess on the drive letter to begin with to find your image. This should have been fixed long ago and is unacceptable.

SOooo--screwed again by the software people---will look for a better product if there is one (Ha-ha----fat chance)

peace my friend

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Once you know the Linux version handles the archive validation and restore on your machine you can be quite confident that all is well when you just validate in Windows.

I agree it would be nice if the rescue environment used something like VistaPE. However, TI isn't alone in its choice of Linux.

5. jmk94903

I agree that this is unacceptable. It happens on some hardware and not others. I've been lucky in that all my systems have validated in Windows and from the Rescue CD.

Yes, that is an unfortunate "feature" of Linux. If you name all your drives, you avoid that confusion. The names are the same in both operating systems.

ShadowProtect uses a VistaPE rescue CD. You might want to look at that.

6. spotty

spotty Registered Member

John:

thx again for your reply and insite.

I did look into shadowprotect--seems like a good program--I may try--but--$79 is a little steep---but--hea--if it works?

7. jmk94903

And it uses a VistaPE rescue disk. That may be critical for your system.

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello spotty,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

You may try the following:

1) Could you please check the disks for errors?

- Go to the Command Prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd)
    - Enter the command: "chkdsk DISK: /r" (where DISK is the partition letter you need to check) for every partition that is visible in My Computer. Please note, that checking the C: drive may require you to reboot the machine.

2) To make sure that the memory module of your machine is not corrupt as this can be the reason of the issue please download one of the archives depending on what media type you are going to use:

- diskette http://www.memtest.org/download/1.70/memtest86 -1.70.floppy.zip
    - USB Flash drive http://www.memtest.org/download/1.70/memtest86 -1.70.exe.zip
    - CD http://www.memtest.org/download/1.70/memtest86 -1.70.iso.zip

Unpack the archive and create bootable media with the test. Instructions on how to do it can be found in README.txt in the same archive.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

9. jmk94903

You never reported whether you tried making a new backup image while booted from the Rescue CD. If that image validates, you have a backup that should restore correctly.

That isn't as good as having backups made in Windows, but it does provide interim protection against a failure while you look for better solutions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.