Corrupted Archive (Acronis True Image 11)

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bbm96, Nov 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bbm96

bbm96 Registered Member

Hello all, is their away to repair a corrupted archive? I'm using Acronis True Image 11.

Thank You.

2. Ray Clare

Ray Clare Registered Member

In a word no. But it may not actually be corrupted. The verification can fail for any number of reasons. Sometimes just copying the file to an internal hard drive and restoring from there will work.

It often happens that tib files don't verify in Windows, but will verify under the restore disk, and that is the one that matters.

Others here may have better comments.

Good luck

3. OldITGuy

OldITGuy Registered Member

Actually I have found just the opposite to be true. They verify fine under windows so you think you are golden, but when you really need to do a restore the boot disk (Linux) says the image is corrupt.

That's why I keep a copy of BartPE around with True Image on it.

4. Ray Clare

Ray Clare Registered Member

It's true it can go either way, verifying on one system and not the other, but the only one that even slightly matters is on the Acronis system, not Windows.

My point was that even if it won't verify in Windows it may very well still restore just fine. Only a restore can determine the condition of the TIB. Verifying either way is largely a waste of time. IMO

5. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Exchangeable main hard drives are an excellent answer to any validation problems. My simple rule is always to restore a non-current hard drive. There is then no need to ever run any validations. If the restore works that's fine. If there is a failure nothing is lost. One can restore an earlier image that has previously worked or put back the previous drive and create a new backup.

I have been maintaining my backups this way for more than 18 months with very few (< 0.5%) image failures. These of course have not resulted in any data loss.
    I have recently found a probable cause for the few failures. The main drive ribbon cable was under a bit of tension which probably was causing a slightly poor connection. The connections have been re-made with more slack in the cable, however it will take many months to see if the few fails have gone away completely.

Xpilot

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello bbm96,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please notice that an archive may be declared corrupted because of data transfer errors, which usually are caused by bad memory, bad cable connections, drive surface errors and so on. We recommend you to make sure that the memory modules of your machine are not corrupt. Please download one of the archives depending on what media type you are going to use:
    - memtest for diskette
    - memtest for USB Flash drive
    - memtest for CD
    Unpack the archive and create bootable media with the test. Instructions on how to do it can be found in README.txt in the same archive. After that boot your PC from the media, memtest will start automatically. Please leave it running for several hours (for example, overnight). There should be no errors reported.

Please try copying the archive to another drive and validating it again. Please also try using Acronis Bootable Rescue Media to validate/restore the archive.

Notice that in case the archive is really corrupted it's often possible to recover part of the data by mounting the archive. Please see chapter 13 "Exploring archives and mounting images" of Acronis True Image 11 Home User's Guide for detailed instructions.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.