Corrupt Image on External HD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Mike Kyriazakos, May 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Kyriazakos

Mike Kyriazakos Registered Member

I just purchased and installed TI 9 and downloaded build 3633. I have a P4 with 1 gig of RAM. Two internal hard drives - 1 Maxtor 80 gig with my operating system and files and 1 Hitachi Deskstar 250 gig. Also I have a 300 gig Seagate in an external enclosure connected via USB 2.0.

My 80 gig internal drive has Windows XP with SP2 and my data files - this is basically what I want to image/back up and eventually restore in case of a crash.

I have created a backup (no comression) of the 80 gig drive under the Windows environment on my external drive and it ends up corrupt. I have created a backup (no compression) onto the internal 250 gig drive under Windows environment and it validates fine. My problem seems to be that I cannot create a validating backup on the external drive under Windows. I can create a validating backup to the external drive if I boot from the TI CD full mode, but it took roughly 5 hours to create an image and validate. This is not convenient and I would like to back up under Windows which seems to only take under 2 hours to the internal drive - but I want to back up to the external. I have nothing else obvious running in Windows when I try to backup to the external that I can turn off, no anti virus or anything. What is the best way to resolve this issue? How can I trouble shoot this? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Mike Kyriazakos

Also, I have tested my memory with memtest and I have not found any problems.

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Run chkdsk X: /r for all partitions on the USB drive. Substitute the drive letter of the partion being tested for X. Since the rescue CD version works this is probably not the problem but it is best to rule it out.

Some USB chipsets are problematic with large files. My first step would be to take one of your larger tib files from a good backup and:

Calculate its checksum.

Copy it with Windows Explorer to the USB drive

Calculate its checksum; should be the same obviously.

Copy it back to internal HD

Calculate its checksum.

If the checksums all agree then the USB transfer mechanism under Windows is OK.

You can get a free checksum calculator here.

http://www.irnis.net/soft/xcsc/

4. Mike Kyriazakos

Thanks I will try these suggestions and report back.

I appreciate the help.

5. Mike Kyriazakos

OK I verified the CheckSum matched after I copied the file back and forth. It matched every time. Also, the check disc was fine with no errors on the external drive. I cannot seem to create a valid image under Windows on the external drive. Any ideas? Any help is appreciated.

6. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Normally, it is the rescue CD version that gives the trouble with USB devices!

Look in the Windows Event View system and other logs to see if there are any suspicious entries for the USB drive or around the time you were had a failure.

Go to the enclosure manufacturer's website and see if there is any mention of problems under Windows or if they have a driver update.

Grasping at straws starts here:
    Try plugging the drive in a different port particularly if you were using front ports, try the ones in the back.

Since you can make an image to an internal HD I don't think it is something running in Windows causing a problem unless it has something to do with USB. Still might be worth trying to keep un-needed stuff from being run at startup.

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Mike,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

First of all, please follow seekforever's advice and try updating the drivers for your USB enclosure\drive\controller. If that does not help then please try connecting your external USB hard drive through another USB port(s). If your external USB hard drive is connected to the computer through a hub then please also try connecting it directly.

If nothing of the above helps then please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Please keep your external USB hard drive connected while creating Acronis Report and Windows System Information.

Then please submit a request for technical support. Provide the files and information collected in your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the most suitable solution as soon as possible.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

8. Mike Kyriazakos

Well I think the problem is solved. I had my external USB hard drive plugged into a PCI USB card and I was getting corrupted images. I switched it over to the motherboards USB connection and I can now verify my images that are on the external drive. I even ended up doing a complete restore and it worked. Thanks for eceryones help.

9. Acronis Support

Hello Mike,

We are really glad to hear that this issue has been solved and know you can use Acronis software. We will certainly do our best in order to provide you with the good and reliable software in the future as well.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

10. Mike Kyriazakos

Actually I am still having the probelm intermittantly. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, telling me the process failed and the image is corrupt. This seems to happen on the scheduled backups from what I can tell. When I do a manual backup it works. Also, when I went in to edit the scheduled backup I got an error message saying the scheduled backup was created from a different version of TI? I will keep troubleshooting and post back.

11. Acronis Support

Hello Mike,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

First of all, please recreate your scheduled tasks and see whether the problem still persists.

If the problem still remains, could you please do the following?

- Download and run schedmgr.exe application;

- Issue the following commands:

service stop
    service uninstall

- Close schedmgr;

- Replace schedhlp.exe and schedul2.exe files in the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2 folder with the files from this ZIP archive.

- Run schedmgr application once again;

- Issue the following commands:

service install
    service start

- Close schedmgr;

If the problem still persists then please do the following:

- Open the command prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd);

- Run the following command in the folder the schedmgr.exe file was saved to:

schedmgr get report > schedreport.txt

- Collect schedreport.txt;

Could you please also reproduce the problem and collect Acronis True Image log which can be saved from Tools -> Show Log -> Diskette icon?

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

12. Mike Kyriazakos

It seemed that when I ran a manual backup of my C drive to the external USB drive under build 3633 I was eventually able to validate the image. I never set up the automated backups so I didn't test the procedure in the previous thread.

Now I have upgraded to 3677 and every image is corrupt, even if I create the image of my c drive onto an internal e drive. So it doesnt seem to be a USB external drive issue. I have installed the report tool and sent in a text copy of the results to tech support. I am considering going back to 3633 and seeing if I can create a valid image on any drive, internal or external. I have run memtest and no problems. Anyone else have these problems since upgrading to 3677?

13. Acronis Support

Hello Mike Kyriazakos,

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Could you please clarify if Acronis True Image creates backup onto the internal hard drive that validates as corrupted when you use Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue Media or when you use Acronis True Image in Windows?

Could you please also do the following:

- Create a new image archive when Acronis True Image 9.0 Home (build 3677) is running from under Windows and then validate this image when Acronis True Image 9.0 Home is running from under Windows and when your PC is booted from Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (3677) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home. Let us know the results;

- Create a new image archive when your PC is booted from Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (3677) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home and then validate this image both when Acronis True Image 9.0 Home (build 3677) is running from under Windows and when your PC is booted from Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (3677) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home. Let us know the results;

Please create Windows System Information.

Then send this information to Acronis Support Team. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

14. Mike Kyriazakos

The image is corrupt if I create it under Windows and try to validate it under windows.
    The image is corrupt if I create it after booting from the rescue cd and try to validate it under the boot cd.
    So both ways it is corrupt.

I will create an archive as you have requested and try to validate as you requested and post back.

Please clarify what you mean by: "Please create Windows System Information"?

Thanks

15. philippeguerindon1

philippeguerindon1 Registered Member

Hi from France,
    I spent 4 days working around TI 9. and my external USB1 Feecom HDD. I found
    1. USB in not the right way unless you use a chipset onto the motherboard.
    2. PCI cards frequently generates errors
    3. If you have a Windows environment, it is much better to use TI as a plugin from BartPE as you stay into Windows
    4. If you have a laptop, you should never use a PCMCIA card if you plan to work with a FireWire slot. Be sure to have a build-in one .
    How I turned around :
    1. I replaced my USB1 Freecom external HDD by a 300 Go Iomega USB2-FireWire. I got it formatted with FAT32 to insure compatibilily with other OS than XP.
    2. I use TI as a plugin to BartPE.
    3. I use the build in FireWire 400 slot (the same you can use with a camera). The flow of data is much more regular within FireWire.
    4. As long as I used USB2, I wasn't able to validate an archive.

I hope all this will help.
    Philippe

Last edited: Sep 11, 2006
  16. Mike Kyriazakos

Thanks for the suggestions. I have given up on the external hard drive and I am using a second internal ide hard drive and I cannot create a validating image to the internal drive at all. I used to be able to under the last build but no luck after going to the latest build. I cannot create a validating image if I try under windows or even from the rescue boot disc.

17. Acronis Support

Hello Mike,

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please note that you can find the instructions on how to create Windows System Information in the Acronis Help Post.

Could you please send this information to Acronis Support Team along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the issue and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.