Corrupt Image File - your advise is hardly needed

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by vak0, Jul 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vak0

vak0 Guest

I'm in a very unpleasant situation. I tried to restore partition C: (after some experiments with new software) from the image file located on another HDD and received the message that file is corrupt. I checked the HDD surface then and found that this HDD is dying. So, now my C: drive is killed together with all documents and lot of software. Then I found a company who tried to restore this image file from dying HDD using PC-3000 solution. They said me that they managed to make a copy of file with only 2 errors and asked for considerable sum of money for the work. What I whould really like to know before I pay them is:

1) Will I be able to restore my partition from this little bit damadged image file on my own risk? Or TI will check the file integrity and not allow me to do this?

2) Will I be able to browse this damadged image file and save at least something?

Thanx a lot in advance for your advices.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello vak0,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

I am really sorry for the problem appeared. If you were told that the file was copied with errors it is unlikely that you will be able to restore the image. To tell for sure whether you are or are not able to restore you need to verify the image using the "Check Image" tool. However, even if the image is corrupted it is sometimes possible to mount it using the "Explore Image" wizard and copy almost all the files from it. The image file is really sensitive to any sort of corruption because the algorythms of imaging are based on checksum comparison and these checksums depend almost on each byte of the file.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.