Corrupt Backup Restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by stor, Sep 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stor

stor Registered Member

Hi all:

Hoping for further suggestion on this one:

Background:
    Running XP Pro and Acronis True Image 9
    I like the schedule option, though it asks you input your XP User ID and password.

So, my hard disk failed and I went to complete restore, to find my back up is corrupted.

So, I use the bootable version and browse through the folders of my backup file to see that it appears My Documents are intact, so I figure to fresh install XP and restore selected files from My Documents.

Here's the problem: Because I used the schedule back up feature with my XP login/password, I don't have access to the My Documents folder.

So questions to the forum:

Can I
    1. repair a backup file, possibly through mounting the image?
    2. fool XP to allow me access to this folder (I am the administrator running XP).

Thanks all for any suggestions.
    Steve.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello stor,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

Please notice that it is possible that the archive is being declared corrupt because of faulty data transfers. Please run a memory diagnostics such a Memtest86+ available free from www.memtest.org for a several hours. There should be no errors reported. Please also run Windows chkdsk utility with parameter "/r" on the hard drive the archive is stored at.
    If there are no errors with memory/hard drive reported, please try copying/moving the archive to another location, and validating it again. Please also try using Acronis Bootable Rescue Media to validate the archive.

It's impossible to repair an actually corrupted archive.

As for problems with accessing files, please have a look at this Acronis KB article.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.