Corel vs M$

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by yihlisngf, Jan 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yihlisngf

yihlisngf Guest

Hi, I 'd like to get some opinions about the commercial rival product to Microsoft's M$Office, i.e. Corel's various suites, for instance WordPerfect Professional Edition?

Are they compatible, i.e. can documents created under M$'s Word be read and edited in Corel's WordPerfect, and so on...

Thanks for any thought on the subject.

2. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Corel could screw up a wet dream ! Of course , so can M$ !!!

3. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

Obviously you remember their Windows transition. Personally, I hated WordPerfect from the beginning. When everyone was raving about DOS based WordPerfect 4.2, I was using MacWrite, which was WYSIWYG. WordPerfect made me wanna gag.

Hopefully things have changed. I do know that Corel and Microsoft are not supporting the OpenDocument standard. Tom Hardware previewed it here.

4. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

In fact, both 'office suites' are good, and it's strictly a matter of opinion as to which is better. That said, MS Office is the world-standard (that's why most of us use Windows, isn't it?).

Regarding your question of compatibility, most if not all files can be exported/imported into the like app (both ways).

~pv

5. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

It seems that just about EVERYBODY is planning support of ODF (except M$, of course).
    Curious! It appears Corel is vacillating, after reading Close_Hauled's link.
    I was optimistic after reading this:
    http://opendocumentfellowship.org/Applications/HomePage
    Especially wierd, in that Corel was a member of the OASIS Technical Committee that created the OpenDocument format:
    http://opendocumentfellowship.org/Applications/WordPerfect

Anyway,
    Have a look at OpenOffice / StarOffice 2.0. Both have very good support of M$ formats.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.