Copying to New Computer

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by testpret, Dec 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. testpret

testpret Registered Member

Just got a brand new computer, giant hard-drive. Old and new use XP, but new computer has newer version, etc. How do I transfer all of my existing programs, settings for Internet connections, Eudora mail program, and dozens of programs that were downloaded over the last 3 years., and of course, probably can't find many of the programs that I installed from older disks. Copying the files (documents, databases, etc.) is easy. It's the programs and settings I care about. I use Acronis True Image 9.0. I don't want to overwrite anything new on the new computer (operating system, etc.). Are there any "essential" files that have to be copied??

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

File and settings transfer wizard can be found in Windows programs/ accessories/ system tools.

Your needs are something that have been recognised by Microsoft since the early days.

Xpilot

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I don't think this will do all that he wants. From what I see he wants to transfer various installed programs as well as Windows settings. What's worse he wants to transfer the installed programs onto a "newer version" of Windows XP.

The normal approach is to make an attempt at copying an image of the old machine along with running MS SysPrep and doing a XP repair to try and fix the resulting mess. (The problem is that your new PC has very different hardware from your old PC and requires different drivers.) Some people claim they have good luck doing this but I don't really want to port over a bunch of now useless stuff so I always elect for doing a clean install of my needed apps. This way if something goes bad at least I know it isn't because I tried to force fit old stuff on a new machine.

If you have TI Workstation you can also buy Universal Restore which is intended for situations like this.

4. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Agreed with SeekForever ... much better to re-install programs, moreso since the OS on the new system is newer. You also would not carry over a lot of junk that accumulates in the Registry over time. If you cannot find some of the software to re-install, there may be newer apps. that will handle your old data files. If not, ask around your colleagues, friends, etc for the old software.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.