Copying Images to CD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by pwolodzko, Apr 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pwolodzko

pwolodzko Registered Member

I used Acronis 8.0 to create an image of my harddrive. I chose the option to create multiple volumes on the current HD to eventually burn them to 700MB CD ROMs.

I tried to burn the files to CD-Rs using two different CD ROM drives on two different computers and wasted about 20 CD-Rs! Then the light went on and I down shifted the burn speed from 48x to 24x. Then most of the CD-Rs (except for 3) burned just fine and I had a full verified set.

Does anyone know why burning the image files at 48x produced mostly unusable CD-Rs? And why did down shifting the speed work better but still produced 3 garbage CD-Rs? Any info would be appreciated!!

Thanks

2. storage_man

storage_man Registered Member

Either the MEDIA or the DRIVE would be suspect in this situation. My guess would be the Media. Make sure you have the right media ie: speed for the drive. Also clean the drive lens (Lens cleaning kits can be purchased).

Storage_man

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

I've said it many times before - fast write speeds are all well and good for multimedia (audi/video) files but are a pain in the backside when it comes to large data files (one bad byte and your data is corrupt). You have been warned (again)!!!

Regards

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Because writing at the highest speed, 48x, exceeds the capability of this hardware and the brand of disks you are using to write without errors on your system most of the time. Writing at the slower 24x execeeds the error-free writing capability less often. If you tried 12x, you'd probably have all good disks.

OK, that doesn't explain why. I just repeated your observation. :)

The source of the errors can be in the drive hardware, the result of other programs on your computer interfering with the writing and influenced by the brand of disks you use. You can check to see if there is a firmware update for your drive. You can experiment with other brands of disks - try Sony, Memorex or the same brand as your drive. You can try disabling memory resident programs while burning disks to see if one of them is causing the errors. Or, you can just settle for burning at 12x.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.