Copying Data From Old Hard Drive

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by TheKid7, Nov 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I made several attempts to copy data from data partitions of a hard drive that was formerly my System Partition hard drive. On each attempt, the copying process would stop and the PC locked up requiring a restart. I seem to remember similar problems when I did the same thing a few years ago.

Does the Windows Operating System which remains on the hard drive to be copied somehow prevent the copying of files from the other partitions of that same hard drive?

I "think" that when this problem occurred before, I deleted the parition of the hard drive that contained the Windows OS and that allowed me to copy data from the other partitions.

Thanks in Advance.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

No OS will not block it. Check hd for errors, using chkdsk and similar utils

3. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I decided to copy the data with the Puppy Linux Live CD. The copy operation was smooth and without issue. Average file copy rate = ~28 MB/sec (128 GB of Data).

4. tgell

tgell Registered Member

I Love Puppy. Saved my ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ more times than I can count.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.