Copy SSD to SSD

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by brucekn, Sep 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brucekn

brucekn Registered Member

I currently have a previously installed 128GB SSD that I (foolishly!) partitioned into C: and D: on my PC. (I also have various other HDD’s on my system as well). C: has Windows 8/64-bit on it (with a multiboot to Windows 7/64 on one of the other HDD’s), and D: has a flight simulator, FSX. As expected, space is getting short on both C: and D:, especially D:.

I have bought another (yet to be installed) 500 GB SSD. Once I have that installed, I would like to:

1. Clone D: onto the new SSD.
    2. Temporarily rename D: temporarily to a new yet-unused driver letter.(I assume I can do this in Disk management)
    3. Assign the new SSD to D:. At this point I would expect that FSX would work fine as if it did on the original D:, am I correct? This partition would not be bootable. Once again I think I am using Disk management within Win8.
    4. Once I know that everything is working, delete the partition in 2. Above.
    5. Assign all of the old (current) SSD to C:

So, I would have Windows 8 on C:, which would occupy all of the space on the old current SSD, functioning with the multi-boot to Win 7. And FSX (cloned from an SSD to another SSD) would be occupying all of the space on the new SSD, assigned to D:, and performing just the same as the D: partition is now on the old existing SSD.

Would your software work for this purpose? If so, which of your s/w products should I get?

Thanks, Bruce.

2. fireworker

fireworker Registered Member

3. brucekn

brucekn Registered Member

Thanks for the reply, sounds like this operation is easier than I expected :)

Bruce.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.