copy from Ide to a sata hard drive then a boot problem..

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by baldy54, Jun 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. baldy54

baldy54 Registered Member

Hello I am new to this forums. I have a question that I need help to answer.. I built a computer myself.. and I backup my old computer hard drive. and transfer it to my new computer that I built.. It restored it fine. but When I go to let it boot from the hard drive Windows asks me if in wanted to start it in safe mode or normal mode. I started it first in normal mode and then in safe mode. this is what it did to me.. it goes to the window xp logo screen for a split seconded and then reboots again. How do I get XP to boot up??

2. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

You failed to mention the version of True Image that you are using as well as other system information, but just because you backed up an ATA drive and restored it to a SATA drive isn't the entire reason for the problem you are experiencing.

Assuming that you used a Home version of True Image, the problem you experienced is due to creating the image on one PC and restoring it on another (newer) PC. You don't have to look very hard in this forum to find similar stories!

If you have your Windows installation CD, you could try doing a Windows Repair install on the SATA HDD where you restored the mage; that may just do the trick. Further assuming you are using WinXP, even if the repair works, you will (most likely) have to re-activate Windows.

3. baldy54

I am using true image the home program ver. 10 build 4942.. I took the image to a new computer that I just built. An Asus motherboard m2n-SLI deluxe. With a amd chip. and a sata hard drive.. I Repaired the sata drive with windows cd and it did not work.. what els is there that I might try??

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello baldy54,

To start with, you will need to carry out a Windows repair reinstall (or an in-place upgrade as Microsoft like to call it). See my reply in this previous thread titled <Acronis True Image Newbie> for details (for XP Pro read XP Home).

Regards

Menorcaman

Last edited: Jun 28, 2007
  5. pvsurfer

If I found myself in that situation, I would do a fresh install of Windows and my application programs on the new PC. I would then install TI 10 (or use TI's Emergency Boot CD) attempting to mount/restore my data, docs, photos, etc. from the image. There's a very good chance that will work! If it doesn't work for whatever reason, I would copy those data, docs, photos, etc. from the old PC onto CD(s) and then copy them from the CD(s) to the new PC.

Good luck!

6. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

This is the classic "drive letter change during restore", it's a problem that occur's on occasion when restoring windows xp. A repair installation might or might not work "never fixed it for me". Anytime that you get an incomplete boot following a restore, It is cause because windows is looking for the startup files on the wrong drive, when it doesn't find them, it reboots or goes into a loop at the log-in screen. This will happen on both ide and sata drives.
    My advice is to download the demo of "paragon justboot corrector", and burn it onto a bootup cd. Use that to bootup you computer, now check your partitions. Your system partition need's to be c: , if it's anything else that's your problem. Before you start the mbr,fixmbr, repair installations etc which might make your hard drive unbootable , concentrate on the drive letters.
    The demo won't fix your computer but it'll verify your problem. The only programs that I have used to change drive letters and get my computer to boot are "paragon justboot corrector", and "vcom partition commander pro 10" which has a boot corrector on the bootcd that is the same as paragons.
    This is a simple 5 minute fix with the right utility's, that your computer almost booted means you almost got a good restore, you only need to change that drive letter and your good to go.To me it's a quick fix.
    I recommend to everyone who use "true image" and "windows xp" to have a bootup utility handy that can change drive letters. I see this problem in these forums every week.
    This link shows some of the freeware and directions that can be used to change drive letters.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=174958

7. pvsurfer

jonyjoe, while anything is possible in the mysterious world of Windows, I would think if the problem here was that of Windows not seeing the boot drive (due to the wrong drive letter), it would have asked for a bootable disk. Judging from the symptoms of baldy's problem, it seems more likely to me that Windows is confused due to HAL and driver differences. :doubt:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2007
  8. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

This has happened to me too many times, and it's always been the drive letter changing. The only thing different that "baldy54" got that I have never seen is getting the screen that asks whether to start on normal or safe mode. I usually get a normal boot sequence and it hangs or goes into a loop at the log-in screen. From my personal expeirence, the computer has never ask me for a bootable cd, it just won't complete the boot sequence.
    The only reason I recommend changing the drive letter is because it does work. I didn't think something as simple as a wrong drive letter would prevent the computer to bootup, but I was wrong. "My previous thinking was that windows assigned drive letters automatically during bootup".
    I would just recommend this be checked first and eliminated as a problem before moving to more time-consuming repair procedures.

9. baldy54

I thought this was to be easy.. I was wrong!! still rebooting after the safe or normal screen..

10. pvsurfer

Since the other remedies here apparently have not worked, save yourself further aggravation and go with my advice in post #5. ;)

11. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello baldy54,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please take a look at this article for instructions on transferring your operating system from IDE to SATA hard drives.

Also this post can be useful.

You can find the detailed instructions on how to use Acronis True Image 10.0 Home in the respective User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.