Copy Backup into Secure Zone

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by sgc, Oct 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sgc

sgc Registered Member

As the title suggests, is it possible to transfer an existing backup into a recently created secure zone?

thanks

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

No, the Secure Zone can only be managed from within TI. This is its weakness, the mechanism that protects the zone from malicious or accidental modification also keeps other access out. You also cannot copy an image from the Secure Zone to your HD or other device.

3. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Not with any Version up to and including V11.
    I have no idea if this would work in V2009 and I will not even go there as I am happy with version10.

Xpilot

4. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

You can however explore or copy FROM a Secure zone image. I have found this a useful feature from time to time.

Xpilot

5. sgc

sgc Registered Member

Thanks for the rapid reply guys, I figured this might be the case, just thought I may have been missing something.

regards

6. truthseeker

truthseeker Former Poster

Yes it is possible! Use a Ubuntu Linux LiveCD, load it, and then mount the Acronis hidden secure zone partition as read+write, and then you can delete, move and copy anything into, and out off, the Acronis hidden secure partition.

I do it all the time using the Ubuntu LiveCD.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  7. sgc

sgc Registered Member

Tried this and while I can see the Acronis secure zone in Ubunta each time I try to copy the file across it always comes up with an error towards the end of the copying process which states that "Error writing to file: File to large"

As the secure zone partition is significantly larger than the file I am trying to copy across, I am not sure what is causing this.

Any suggestions appreciated

Thanks

8. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

sgc:

The secure zone is formatted as FAT32 (but identified as "Acronis Secure Zone" in the partition type ID), but beneath the surface it is still FAT32, which has a 4 GB maximum file size limit. If the file you are trying to copy to the secure zone is larger than 4 GB then the copy will fail. You will have to create your images with splits of 4 GB maximum, then copy the splits to the secure zone.

9. truthseeker

truthseeker Former Poster

Hi, good to see you worked out how to mount the secure zone using Ubuntu.

Does it work if you try to copy a smaller file across? Are you able to copy anything at all into the secure zone? Test it using a smaller file.

The Secure Zone is FAT32 as Mark mentioned. So split the file into smaller chunks and then copy them across. FAT32 has a 2TB limit on partition size, but a limit of 4GB on file size. So use the file split option in TrueImage for new backups. Or use a split application for older backup images.

And make sure you have mounted it as +R and +W. If you just mount it as READ it won't copy or be able to write to the secure zone.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.