cookies

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Long View, Jan 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Just trying out Cookiesafe with Firefox.

I have set to block cookies globally with a view to allowing if necessary and that raises the question - how often is it necessary to allow cookies at all ?

So far I have not found a site that I couldn't use without allowing cookies. Have
    I just been lucky so far or is there some benefit to me in allowing cookies ?

2. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

love 'em.
    Cookies...
    Don't worry about them. Perhaps just accept session cookies, or first party or even per site.

3. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

CookieSafe is great! The way i use it is set allow for the sites that i trust, no more. As for the rest of them, i don't see the use for allowing them either Long View.

4. Texcritter

Texcritter Registered Member

Hi
    Normally you need a cookie to shop on line

Brief explanation and example of cookies here
    http://www.csma.uk.com/about-site/cookies.php

A site where you need cookies enabled to properly access
    http://support.empresa.co.uk/help/cookies/cookies.htm

5. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Having play with this for a day I have restored an old image and have decided to live without it. I did start to find sites which required cookies and then I remembered that Crap cleaner removes them anyway. So on the basis that less is better and having concluded that they can do no harm during the brief time that they are on my machine I will stay as I am. Thanks for all the replies.

6. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Here is how deal with cookies with internet explorer, also the same with Firefox and exception list, also FF can deal with cookies on closure.

Attached Files:

7. true north

true north Registered Member

Hi there,

sometimes you have to allow cookies. Clean / delete them later on the end of you session. BUT CCleaner is NOT enough!
    You need a professional cleaner and take a look what INDEX.dat suite at http://support.it-mate.co.uk/?mode=Home
    is doing as well !! Read threads about shredder and how to delete files securely and so on. It is NOT only cookies you should care about.

8. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I allow them for trusted sites, and FF will clean them in the end. What am i missing?

9. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

I was starting to wonder the same thing. Maybe I'm not quite paranoid enough, but I just keep a whitelist of cookies in CCleaner, to store preferences etc, and use it to clean up after each browser session. Plus not allowing 3rd party cookies. Plus some being taken care of by Spybot. Or the hosts file. Or Winpatrol.
    Maybe I am paranoid enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.