cookie control with IE6 help

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by notageek, Sep 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notageek

notageek Registered Member

If I set the settings up to high will the sites I allowed in the web sites edit still be able to work?

Off the topic here but I found that the poeple at the forum are a lot nicer than the ones at other forums.

2. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi notageek!

if you are referring to: Tools-->Internet Options-->Privacy-->Advanced Privacy Settings, where you can override automatic cookie handling, and set your cookies, both 1st and 3rd party cookies, to block; yes, the sites you have place in the Web Sites section just below that, and have them set to "Always Allow", will still load when you go to them.

i have my Cookie Settings in IE6 set at "Prompt" for 1st Party Cookies (i like to see what i am accepting or refusing), and 3rd Party Cookies are always set at "Block".

i use Opera mostly when i surf since the handling of cookies is so much better...it not only allows me to block or accept when i go to a site...it also gives great detail on exactly what the cookies name is, where it is coming from, whether it's an illegal cookie, and what the site is doing with it. i like that! LOL

hope i understood your question and the above helps a wee bit. The best way is to probably try out a few combinations with a few sites you feel very safe with. i know some sites will not load at all without cookies being accepted (even the 3rd party cookies), and some sites you cannot log in without accepting cookies.

snap

ps...oh, just wanted to add, when you go to Windows Update site, you must set your IE6 settings to "default" in order to view updates...but that doesn't affect your cookies, their settings will stay the same as you've set them. So if you have 1st party cookies set to prompt, you can just click accept to continue at Microsoft's site if needed.

3. notageek

Yes you ansered my question Snap. I haven't tried Opera yet. I'll have to look into it. :) Thanks for the info Snap.

4. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Glad i could help out notageek :)

if you want to read what other's here have posted about Opera, here is the thread:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=2992

i know they are going to be bringing out Opera 7 but i don't know when that's going to be released. The Opera page is posted in the above thread too, i believe.

snap

5. bubs

bubs Registered Member

I've not tried Opera, but if you're interested in trying another browser with a more user-friendly approach to cookie management which is FREE, (fogive me, Opera fans - but the full version of Opera is shareware, right?) try Mozilla. http://www.mozilla.org/ I started to use it as an experiment a few weeks ago, and now scarcely use IE at all.

If you don't like the appearance of it, there is a whole range of themes you can download. If you feel homesick for IE, there is even one which mimics IE.

Like Opera (I think), it support tabbed browsing, which is a huge advance on anything IE can offer.

The only drawback I've found with it is that Microsoft websites are set up so they will not display on Mozilla - so if you want to search the MSKB or suchlike, just change back to IE :D

6. JacK

JacK Registered Member

Hello ;)

A big security issue has been discovered lately in Mozilla and Netscape.

http://www.securiteam.com/

Rgds,

7. bubs

bubs Registered Member

Thanks JacK!

8. notageek

Thanks for the info guys.

9. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

For a browser I prefer Opera.But I just installed Crazy Browser,It uses the IE6 engine.It has a "clear history" feature under the tools tab.It's a neat little browser,has multiple tabs which are handy for surfing.It's easy to set up,which is a plus for me.I like it better than IE6.It's more versatile IMO.I'm thinking that it has the same security concerns as IE6 though.After all it uses the same engine.It seems to be compatable with SpyBlocker so far.(I wouldn't like the idea of not running SpyBlocker when I surf).If you want to check Crazy Browser out,here's the address http://crazybrowser.com

10. root

root Registered Member

Yeah, tester, the problem with browsers that use IEs engine are subject to IEs problems. Some are excellent, but still, I wanted a safer browser and thats why I chose Opera. I think Mozilla will come along with a viable contender soon, but I'm not convinced yet.
    Also looking forward to Opera 7.0.
    Notageek, why not become a geek and go for Opera. Give it a couple of days to get used to and you'll love it. :D
    Glad you find the people here helpful and friendly. I do too.

11. notageek

Root, I'm waiting on anew version of opera to come out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.