Converting MBR to GPT

Discussion in 'Paragon Partition Manager Product Line' started by ArtArt, Dec 20, 2015.

1. ArtArt

ArtArt Registered Member

The description of features for the Professional version of Paragon Partition Manager indicates that the program can convert a MBR partitioned disk to the GPT format.

Can anyone confirm that the program can accomplish this without data loss? For example, if the source MBR disk contains a System Recovery partition + one or more other partitions containing the operating system + total data contents - will the conversion process result in a GPT-partitioned disk with no data loss?

And if so, will this apply to Windows 7 & Windows 10 systems?

Thanks.

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

AFAIK, you can convert only non-system [data] disks. The same can be done with Partition Wizard Free.

3. ArtArt

ArtArt Registered Member

Thanks for your response.

So just that I clearly understand...the program does not have the capability of converting one's boot disk containing the OS + any other data from MBR to GPT without data loss. And this is regardless of whether that drive contains a separate System Recovery partition, right?

So only MBR partitioned secondary drives used solely to house data, i.e., used for storage & backup purposes, could be so converted to GPT without data loss, yes?

And what if that drive was routinely used as the recipient of the boot drive's clone so that the drive thus contained an OS (even though the disk was being utilized as a secondary drive merely for comprehensive backup purposes), would the above hold true, i.e., an MBR to GPT conversion would be possible in that situation? Or would the mere presence of an OS not permit such a conversion?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.