control computer usage

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by mikeo1313, Aug 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeo1313

mikeo1313 Registered Member

My cousins son spends too much time playing games on the computer.

Long ago I overlooked software that would control the amount of time spent on the internet. There probably are loads of programs that achieve this but a suggestion is better then web propaganda.

We'd like to be able to quantify the daily or weekly group of game play programs and specific web sites, instead of blocking the browser alltogether. Removing deletion privilege would be good also.

Any suggestions appreciated, even if it comes close. Thanks

2. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Some routers have web filtering and schedules built into them. When scheduling, you set the schedule, and then apply it to a MAC address. A MAC address is unique to a particular network adapter, and although they can be spoofed, I doubt the child knows how, so it works great until they get old enough to figure out what you are doing ;)

There is software too, and I think in win7 there are parental controls, although I have never examined them. I like doing it via the router, as it cannot be changed by anyone but me.

Sul.

3. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I'm extremely noobish on this but even on my cheapo Cisco Linksys router i have parental controls for schedule and filtering :D WRT120N

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.