Continuous Data Protection

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by hutchingsp, Aug 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hutchingsp

hutchingsp Registered Member

I've been investigating options for laptop users to have something running in the background that simply replicates any changes made to their My Document/Desktop folder to their home folder on one of our file servers - the idea being that if their laptop crashes we have a copy of their data.

The key here is that once setup it needs ideally, to just sit there, and only flag up if for some reason it isn't working.

I tried Tivoli CDP which seems half way there. I looked at Filekeeper which doesn't appear to let you specify locations to backup, only file types, and I keep reading good things about NTI Shadow so that's next on my list.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

I'm not too fussed about being able to store multiple revisions of files as the backups of the file server should handle that.

Whilst we're not talking lots of users, I guess something that can somehow notify me, as the network admin, if a machine has a problem would be a bonus.

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Hutchingsp

What i use might work for you. It's AJC Software's Active Backup. See here. You can specify folders, and File types to cover and also where the archive is stored. (I've never tried it across a network).

Pete

3. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Give NTI Shadow a try!

4. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Maybe FileHamster would work.

5. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Give Foldershare a try :) It's pretty basic, but it works, works well, and it's free (Microsoft bought it up a while back and made it free). You can also invite other people to access your shares (and give varying levels of permissions) if you should feel so inclined.

This may be better suited to laptops, though.

6. hutchingsp

hutchingsp Registered Member

Thanks all NTI Shadow needs a run out I think.

To clarify, I don't want anything that is an online backup service i.e Mozy or anything like that, it needs to simply replicate changes to/from a file server when someone's in the office/comes back to the office etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.