Continuation of String Descriptor 0 error=-110

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Seashell, Nov 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seashell

Seashell Registered Member

First let me thank you for your interest and reply. I booted with my install disk and ran repair console. I used the command "fixmbr" as you sugested. It didn't help. I am running Windows XP SP2 for an operating system. I have a good image of my C: drive from July 17 this year on my second hard drive. I Have no idea what caused my C: drive to malfunction. When I turned the computer on it wouldn't boot. After trying my True Image boot disk and having the problem I described "USB.C: Error getting string descriptor 0 (error=-110)" I reformated my C: drive and reloaded windows so I could get here and ask this question. BTW I re-loaded True Image and created another Boot CD just in case my CD had gone bad, but that was not the case as both the old and new boot CD give the same negative results. All of my drives and partitions are formated NTFS. I hope this is enough information but I will try and answer and futher questions.

Seashell
    View Public Profile

Default Re: The Boot disk gives the error number 110
    Hello Seashell,

Could you please clarify where exactly you get the error? Also please describe what steps you perform before you get the error?

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman
    http://www.acronis.com

Acronis Customer Service Department
    http://www.acronis.com/my/support/

Note that you can quickly find the answers to your questions in Acronis Support Knowledge Base.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    OK as for what I am doing when it happens. I thought I explained that in my first message but I am setting here with the computer turned off after deciding that my windows installation is contaminated and needs to be restored using my backup. I find my Acronis boot disk and put it in the machine and turn it on. Then it starts to boot and tells me to wait a minute then after a while this message starts appearing on the screen over and over.
    "USB.C: error getting string descriptor 0 (error=-110)"

I hope this gives you enough information to know what is going wrong.
    Oh by the way someone ask if I was using a partitioning program to partition the hard drive and I am "Partition Magic".

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Have you tried making a new rescue CD, with a new download or re-installed TI?

String Descriptor 0 should contain four bytes of information for the use of the host (your PC). Now the 3rd and 4th byte are the language ID - which your external drive should be sending.

So if your drive is usable in XP, then we can assume it is sending the correct string which if the language ID is for the US will be 0x0409.

If it fails only with the rescue CD, this points towards either corrupted USB drivers on the CD or TI not talking to the USB hub in the PC (not an external hub, the actual USB chip inside the PC).

String desc0 is not mandatory transmitted information in mass storage devices, though desc3 is mandatory and will contain the serial number of the harddrive.

I'd first check to see if your hardrive is recognised by your system at boot up - if it is, you'll see it as another drive in the info screen just before XP boots.

I think error -110 is an Acronis error number, that might be pointing to receiving more than 4 bytes for example.

Colin

3. Seashell

The computer does recognize the hard drive at boot up and windows xp normally works just fine with this hard drive. If there are 4 additional bytes of info returned with the error message, they are invisible to me. Yes I have reinstalled TI and made a new boot disk all with the same results. It just seems silly to me that someone would write a program to let you restore your hard drive and put a routine in it that would stop the process cold in it's tracks. I have put a lot of time and effort in to being sure I had an up to date backup and it appears it was all for nothing. From what I have read I should have purchased Ghost instead. I am truly frustrated about this situation.

4. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

What Region/language is your PC set to ?

Have you redownloaded TI, just in case something was corrupt in your other download?

OK I've done some research - kernel 2.4 seems to have problems with some Lacie drives according to the Linux USB groups though mainly an error -6 or -75.

What type of external harddrive do you have?

Colin

5. Seashell

I have no EXTERNAL Hard drive just a couple of internal ones. Seagate is my hard drives of choice and the ones in my computer. This problem has not always existed as I had to restore about 2 months ago and everything worked fine. No, I can think of nothing that's different today than when it did work.

6. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

well that makes it really wierd then. I'll check up on general mass storage commands, but I'm not sure why USB is playing up on an internal hard drive, unless somehow TI is 'borrowing' access function calls from other functions.

I take it TI works from XP OK?

Are these IDE or S-ATA?

Colin

7. Seashell

Currently all my hard drives are IDE, and yes it seems to work fine from windows xp.

8. Seashell

Well I have certainly struck out here. I am going to resort to calling tech support. Thanks for the ideas.

9. ablov

ablov Registered Member

I've had the same problem and have found the reason of it. I have a photoprinter connected to my PC by USB and there are several card slots in it. Windows see it as EPSON Storage USB Device.

The problem was disappeared after I switch off the printer.

Hope it will help somebody...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.