Contig Scheduling

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Capp, Sep 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Hey guys,

I've been looking and haven't found anything concrete to use before I deploy this. I have been using RejZor's Power Defragementer with Contig for years. Love it.

But, since it is just a GUI, i can't really use it to schedule a defrag.
    So, I know I can just schedule a cmd line task using contig.exe directly, but I don't know what switches to use.

When I try to do a command line scan like "c:\contig.exe c:\", it says no files found. So, what do I actually need to do to get it to defrag the whole drive?

I just want to get this on my office computers to run every so often without having to manually do it. Also, it will be scheduled to run on the weekend, so as not to interrupt any work so having it run with the /q switch isn't really necessary.

Thanks

2. Coff

Coff Registered Member

Try c:\contig.exe c:\ -s

The s switch is required to defragment all the subfolders of c, ie. the whole of your c drive.

3. Capp

Capp Registered Member

while that does get it to scan subdirectories, all I get is a massive screen of scrolling messages telling me I don't have access....even though an admin. The entire thing just doesn't look the same as it does when run through PD.

I can run the Power Defragmenter GUI, which launches contig.exe, and it does exactly as it is supposed to.

So, does anybody know what commands and switches it uses when it calls contig?

4. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Update.

Finally found a good source for the different switches for contig.exe and figured it out.

for those that want to know:

c:\contig.exe -s -v c:\

That command will analyze and defragment any file on the c: drive.

:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.