Content Watch

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by controler, Jul 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. controler

controler Guest

Another site to check your PC ....
    You can accidentally pick up objectionable PC files from the Internet! ContentAudit provides a way to safely detect unwanted files.

http://www.contentwatch.com/audit/index.php?cid=88;105;17

2. crockett

crockett Registered Member

:eek:Hello Controler;

I'm not sure allowing third-party companies to audit your pc to check whether or not unwanted files may be found inside is such a good habit to acquire !

Those files should be detected by the pc's owner, whose machine should stay under his own control and responsibility.

Another point is to enhance the performance of any filtering software one might have on one's machine (is there any ?) to stop those files to make an unwanted entry in the first place.

Leaving one's own responsibility for one' pc security to any third party seems to me a very dangerous automatic response to get - wheteher it is for antivirus protection, firewall protection or any other so-called 'protection service' for that matter...

Micro$oft has been trying to apply these kinds of tactics to us for (too) many years (and it seems Bill is not the least intending to stop such practices very soon)- let's not do it to ourselves.

Crockett ;)

3. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

I agree with that. I have several applications with automatic updaters, including ones by M$. I've turned them all off. I do any updates myself. I had it happen that I was running some RAM hungry programs and an auto-update turned on. Crashed the entire system.

Still, for those who are willing to risk it, that link posted by controler could be very useful. Is it possible to get programs without your knowledge? No firewall, AV, AT, etc. is perfect. I have a program which detects unknown programs on your HD. I'll see if I can find the link for it. Later.

4. snowy

snowy Guest

FYI

the "start audit" botton on that site is.....

<<http://a840.g.akamai.net>>>>(the redirect to contentwatch>>

snowman

5. snowy

snowy Guest

the following all <akamai>

the "world" gif

the "envalope" e mail a friend

the "product is right for ME"

the "submit"

snowman

6. snowy

snowy Guest

felt a need to futher comment.....the fact that a website has <akamai> does not in and of itself dictate that any thing inproper is amiss........nor do I mean to imply such by having posted regarding <akamai> being on the site.....

its a personal call imo if a user wants or wants not to use the services of a website........some very good points already were posted ....no need for my comment on useage.

snowman

7. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Examples for such a program are:
    NIS File Check (see the special forum-section for it on this board);
    ADinf32 (from the company that sells the AV DrWeb).

8. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

get links to that first program about daily in my spam mail; did run it some time and noticed files which were not even on my pc showed up and words which were not in the files were there in the test.
    Now i run it from the web site and i see this wildersecurity lots of times already on booty (of course, the peek-a-booty thread) and those words. I see news pages about murdered people and more, so finding docs with those words makes me a terrorist? Hm.. they really should filter better. What's wrong with glamour, lovers, as a jpg name?
    Bluerose alarms on eros... hmmm i've said before, a dirty mind is a joy forever, but now we can add a bad filter... If here the filters replace my examples, click on "quote" to read the original, and you see there is nothing bad in them.

So sorry, i think i keep to my other scanners for programs and such content like Jan suggests too, although i don't use NIS.

9. controler

controler Guest

Hi people :D

Sometimes I post these finds for your curiousity to load up your defenses to see if the new site has any new ways to break through the firewall ect. Also it is good to keep people informed of where and what all those companies are up to that we have had experiences with before. Sich as those listed in the above threads. ;)
    It is a nicely laid out site though , don't you think ? he he

10. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Jooske,

You don't need anymore to have NIS/NPF/AtGuard installed on your system to be able to use NIS File Check.

11. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Services, or even programs, like contentwatch are pure garbage.

As Jooske noted, their search criteria (if you can call it that) is much too broad and ill-defined. These types of programs/services are usually put together by (a) religious zealots (b) individuals/groups looking to make a quick buck on users ignorance or (c) both.

I would no sooner open my computer to a 'scan' by a service such as this than I would simply drop my defenses entirely and change my computer-name to "Take me - I'm yours".

What information collected is personally identifiable when you submit to a scan? What gets done with that information?

I find it beyond belief that anyone would use or recommend such a service - especially when there are already so many ways to check your own computer with the things you already have available on it!

Simple stuff:
    Check the drop-down list for sites visited.

Check 'History'

Do a 'Start'/'Search' (or 'Find') for *.jpg, *.mpg, *.mpeg, *.avi files and look at them.

Check your firewall and/or AV/AT logs (especially if they maintain DNS look-ups).

If you have Spider116 on your computer, remember - it's a two-edged sword - it can be used either to keep things cleaned up - or someone who knows what it is can use it to see what someone's forgotten to clean up. (Programs similar to S116 can have the same result).

Any program on your computer that deals with 'blocking' usually has a log - look at it.

Check the 'Now Playing' screen on WMP - or go into the 'Media Library' section and check out 'Video'/'All Clips' and 'Deleted items'/'All Deleted Media'.

This isn't rocket-science - it's easier to do this kind of stuff (if you're going to do it at all) yourself - throwing yourself open to a scan from the outside, the results of which could wind up published on the 'Net somewhere for all to see - is sheer insanity. Pete

12. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Yep, the definitions are done by zombies, one-liners who don't think and this makes them so very dangerous. It's good to have an impression of our enemy.
    So, don't use the xxxx as a separation line in any posting, don't write to mr blaze, don't tell to put your 2ct worth in the slots machines, oh my gosh and wow, i stopped the scan after over 250 finds in i guess less then 5% of my system content, imagine, the readme files, not to mention all those av/at signatures files, you can't say you feel like winning the toto or lotto or lending, i bet (beep!) you're beeped away on every of those words.
    True, they are trying to make quick money and feeding the fear, and i must say, if indeed such zombies would decide, we would truly be in danger. But they are good for something: fear or just being careful just in case could make people delete more then ever, so free disc space! The harddisc's companies will not be really happy with this.

Yes, i'm more used to the ways Pete mentions, although the cookies...... hmm .. and we do need a few extra other then windows tools to get rid of the windows hidden files.
    Sweet space!

13. crockett

crockett Registered Member

:)Hi guys;

I certainly agree with Spy1...

Crockett :cool:

14. controler

controler Guest

I like that quote Take me I am yours , comming from the right lady LOL
    or Take me to your leader?

Jooske? Who are these on-liners?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.