Consumers harassed by 30 million spam calls every day

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by ronjor, Sep 13, 2016.

1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Help Net SecuritySeptember 12, 2016

2. plat1098

plat1098 Registered Member

Wow, such a small percentage of spammees feeds a gigantic number of spammers.

I wonder how First Orion managed to compile the data, did they conduct the survey with a telephone call?

"Hi, I'm with First Orion and I'm conducting a survey on scam telemarketers..." Click.

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Good point. However, judging by the number of scam and harassing calls I receive at home, I don't doubt the numbers stated.

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Global Moderator

Same here, and I report them all to 800Notes. The Do Not Call Registry is a joke! :isay:

5. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

I look through my call log at the end of the day and many times I have 5 or 6 I don't know. My cell doesn't even light up for any call outside of my address book. Here is a surprise, those no name callers never leave a message (rarely anyway). So that means my one little phone gets 6 unwanted calls a day. Believe me my number is only circulated by merchants that betray my trust, which we all experience whether or not we know it.

6. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

I would switch to a Telco that blocked spam at the PBX. However, none of them are going to do that because the advertisers would sue them. Scam artists are a different matter - illegal and unethical - but Telcos don't block them at the PBX either. It is a wack-a-mole exercise that would incur significant costs that they can not pass onto the customer. Grin a bear.