Constant repro (failure on backup of partition / drive D)

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Frallo, Jun 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frallo

Frallo Registered Member

Hi Support,

today I bought and upgraded to True Image 9.0 Home (build 3.641).

I cannot create an image of my drive D. In all cases, I can create the image but verification fails with error: 0x70020.

I uploaded Acronis check tool info (report.txt).
    For some reason I cannot add the system info .nfo file to this thread.

Please advise for troubleshooting steps. I would be more than happy to troubleshoot this and help you fix this and sort this out.

Thx
    Frank

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

First, create an account on the Acronis web site and download the latest version of TrueImage. A lot has changed since build 3641, and your problem may have been resolved.

3. Frallo

Frallo Registered Member

You are correct for the English Version.
    3641 is the latest build for the German version. There is no newer build.

Anybody from Support around?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2006
  4. Frallo

Frallo Registered Member

I did some more tests and tried to backup files and folders on Drive D.
    When I select all files, Verify fails.
    When I select only half of the directories: Verify is ok for the first half, but not for the second. If I only backup the second half of files, verify fails ??

That means, when I backup all directories on D, verify fails for the second half of directories, but backup and verify succed, if I backup those directories seperately.

This in not consistent!

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Frank,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

First of all, please check each partition of your hard drive(s) by Windows utility:

- For Windows 9x please use Windows menu Start\Run then enter the command "scandskw" and test all drives;

- For Windows XP please use Windows menu Start\Run, then enter the command "chkdsk c: /r" "chkdsk d: /r" for every partition of your hard drive.

Note that you will need to reboot your computer in order to scan the system partition.

Please also download the latest version of Acronis drivers, install it with disabled logging and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem persists after checking the hard drive(s) and updating the drivers, please provide us with the following information:

- What operating system do you use?

- Does Acronis True Image create corrupt backups both when it is running from under Windows and when your computer is booted from Bootable Rescue CD?

- Where do you store backups?

- Are you able to back up partition\drives other than D and then successfully validate the resulting backup archives by means of the embedded Validate Backup Archive tool both from under Windows and using Bootabe Rescue CD?

- Perform a memory test using the memtest86+ utility and inform us about the result;

- Try saving backups to any other location(s), e.g. any other internal, external or network drive(s). Then validate them both from under Windows and using Bootable Rescue CD and let us know the result;

- Try moving\copying large files, e.g. disk\partition images themselves, between the hard drives and comparing their checksums calculated using eXpress CheckSum Calculator before and after the files were moved\copied. What are the results?

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

6. Frallo

Frallo Registered Member

I am out of office due to a business trip to the UK this week, but will be more than happy to do the tests and provide the info requested early next week.

Thx
    Frank

7. Frallo

Frallo Registered Member

Done. No errors

C:\Documents and Settings\Frank>chkdsk /R D:
    The type of the file system is NTFS.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
    process. Chkdsk may run if this volume is dismounted first.
    ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID.
    Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? (Y/N) y
    Volume dismounted. All opened handles to this volume are now invalid.
    Volume label is Daten.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 5)...
    File verification completed.
    CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 5)...
    Index verification completed.
    CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 5)...
    Security descriptor verification completed.
    CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
    File data verification completed.
    CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
    Free space verification is complete.

21792172 KB total disk space.
    11991980 KB in 19347 files.
    4848 KB in 888 indexes.
    0 KB in bad sectors.
    86880 KB in use by the system.
    65536 KB occupied by the log file.
    9708464 KB available on disk.

Done. Problem is still there.

XP SP2

No. I can backup and verify D when I boot from the rescue CD.

2.nd SATA HDD on the 3rd Partition

From within Windows I can only backup and verify C succesfully, but not partition D.
    My first HDD has two partitions, C and D.

Memory is OK.

MD checksum is correct, so drives are working well.

So, to summarize: From within Windows, I can backup and verify C correctly. D can only be backuped and verified when I boot from the rescue CD..
    I am using a Promise onboard RAID controller on my motherboard.

Please advise about next troubleshooting steps

Last edited: Jul 1, 2006
  8. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Hello Frallo
    Unless there is a typo in your reply above it looks as if you ran chkdsk for C drive and not for D drive. I usually schedule chkdsk to run at the next reboot from the RUN box, not the command prompt though this should not make any difference.

Xpilot

9. Frallo

Frallo Registered Member

No, it was for D:

chkdsk /R D:

10. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Since both your C and D are on the same physical drive, this is a longshot but easy to check.

Look in the XP System Event Log file (Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer) and see if there are any errors reported with your SATA drive such as parity or anything unusual.

11. Frallo

Frallo Registered Member

Guys,

as I mentioned, I can backup and verify C without any problems.
    D is on the same physical disk and is even smaller than C and can be backed up but it cannot be verified.

I checked all that I can check. There is no error on with my disk. Otherwise I would not be able to backup and verify D after booting the rescue CD.

12. seekforever

Not necessarily if there is something marginal in your system. The rescue Linux version uses different drivers and typically runs at half the speed or so of the Windows environment and its memory allocation is different. This may be just enough of a difference to let it work in the CD environment.

You might want to run Memtest86+ overnight if you didn't. Also, select the random pattern test only rather than the whole suite of test patterns. My experience is that a random pattern is more likely to pickup a marginal failure.

If you have multiple sticks try only one stick at a time if you can. Memory diagnotics are good but they do not run in the real-world environment of restoring an image.

13. Frallo

Frallo Registered Member

As I wrote above, memory is OK.
    A backup using the rescue CD is using the same RAM. Why should it succed if the RAM is bad?

Why should the backup of C from within Windows succed if tha RAM is bad?

I am eagerly waiting for feedback from Acronis support.

14. seekforever

Yes, I know you wrote memory is OK but how about giving some details of your test so we know why you are making that statement.

I don't know if your RAM is really bad but you have a rather strange situation so one of the things to do is to try and definitely eliminate it as a cause.

I agree the validating of C within Windows is not what I would expect but I don't know how TI maps memory, how it decides on what buffer sizes to use etc. In other words, I can't be assured that a bad location is used for verifying both C and D. And if it is used, what does it contain - important data or something that doesn't matter.

The use of the Rescue CD version makes different use of memory even much more likely.

In general, creating an image to an internal drive is less problematic than saving to other devices. Not only that but you do have one partition that does create and validate properly. This really makes me think something is slightly marginal - just what it is I don't know.

In re-reading your earlier posts, I am not clear whether you are creating a partition image or a Files and Folders backup.

15. Acronis Support

Hello Frallo,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We would like to thank you that you have performed all actions requested above to help us to investigate the problem. However, it's necessary to create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post to forward your issue to our Expert Team.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

16. Frallo

Frallo Registered Member

Thanks, I collected the data you requested and opened a support ticket.

17. Frallo

Frallo Registered Member

Anybody out there?
    (I did not hear anything from Support)

18. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I think it might help if you give your support ticket number here for Acronis support to look it up.

19. Frallo

Frallo Registered Member

Good idea! I thought the same, but I did not get any.
    The Acronis Website only gave me the possibility to open the support request via a web form, but there was no ticket number provided in the end as it is common.

20. Frallo

Frallo Registered Member

I did some deeper analysis using memtest and indeed found out, than one DIMM is faulty. As soon as I replace this single DIMM, the backup and verify runs fine.

Case closed.

21. Acronis Support

Hello Frallo,

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

We are really glad to hear that you managed to solve the problem on your own.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support, send a letter directly to support@acronis.com or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.