Considering LnS again

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by Robyn, Mar 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I considered LnS at one stage but was advised it was difficult to setup with a router.
    Is the post in this forum with the extra configs needed for the router after that the settings easy enough to configure using
    Phant0m's ruleset for additional rules?

I have Outpost Pro on my main PC Would like a nice light one for my laptop & maybe replace OP on the main computer (still to be decided)
    on my list of new firewalls I have Kerio 2.5 and now I am researching LnS
    I had taken this off my list in the past because of the router but note other members are using it with a router due to the fact it is light and easy (I hope) to configure.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

for my setup, i only had to allow one additional packet for LnS to work with my router. it is an ICMP type 3. it is different than what is described in the "Configuring Look'n'Stop with Routers" sticky, but its all my router needs. if the sticky is too confusing, just try looking in the LnS log and see if there is any ICMP/IGMP packets being blocked. btw i also use Phant0m's ruleset.

3. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Thank you for your reply I have copied the details from your post to apply if I have router trouble.
    Great to know you only had one extra rule with ICMP - hoping my router will be easy to set up with LnS.
    I have also read Blackspear's info on the main rulesets - screenshots will help too.

Appreciate the information given I couldn't believe how small the actual firewall file was to download :)

4. tlu

tlu Guest

Robyn, I've recently registered for LnS and I'm using it behind a Netgear router without any problems. I had read Patrice's sticky thread but modifications were not necessary. By the way, I'm using the ruleset presented here.

5. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Thank you tlu

I have downloaded the rules for use when I have my new install.
    I presume I load these first time and not use the default or enhanced rules which are with LnS at all?

I have looked at this firewall more and feel it is the right way for me to go.
    At least my new format will not have any old firewall drivers etc
    I think if it is suitable for my main PC then it would be more than suitable for my laptop which would benefit from the light resource use.

I would have to totally (if possible) uninstall the firewall on my laptop first to make sure there are no conflicts.
    Hopefully it will uninstall as clean as possible to allow for a trouble free install of LnS.

6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

yes if u decide to use that ruleset, then u wont be needing either the standard or enhanced rulesets from LnS.

7. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Just browsing the LnS forum today and noticed the posts on the rule sets with screenshots
    which need to be understood and then configured -is this more complicated than setting up LnS from the default rules?
    If I used the 'enhanced' ruleset from LnS as a starting point for application control would this be easier to work with until I am used to the way LnS works and then can purchase Phant0m's ruleset?

I am worried when I read the post re: uninstalling LnS has broken someone's connection :'(

Edit: I have just followed another link and note Phant0m's new rules configure automatically which is looking better for me now.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.